VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an amusing clip from A Bit of Fry and Laurie in 1994; I was reminded of it by the recent Murdoch scandal. If you follow politics at all and need a good laugh take a look. It's 5 minutes long.
(Heads up, it does contain some vulgarity)

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I'm enjoying watching this whole thing blow up in Murdoch's face. I think I'm going to run out of popcorn soon.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
It's interesting to see someone else's world collapse on itself. Good thing I'm poor and not uber rich. I'd hate for the world to hate me.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

Good thing I'm poor and not uber rich. I'd hate for the world to hate me.
Oh, you don't need to be rich; I'm as poor as can be and the world already hates me.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Sometimes, as a buddhist, you can't help but feel a tinsy bit 'unbuddhist' when you see certain people reap the fruits of their actions during the current incarnation rather than the next.

That Fry and Laurie sketch though ... Funny and almost frighteningly prophetic, in a way?

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I've loathed Murdoch and what he represents for years now and although he himself may not be directly and completely responsible for what happened (as you cannot realistically keep personal control over the actions of fifty thousand or so employees), he should still be accountable - cos thems the breaks for earning billions of dollars and holding a position of considerable power and influence and not using it wisely or responsibly.

I'm sure the pressure on him as an eighty year old man and the rest of his family is incredibly intense right now and must be a bit of a nightmare, but I'm sure it doesn't really compare to the misery that the family members of some of the people who's phones were hacked have been through.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

I've loathed Murdoch and what he represents for years now and although he himself may not be directly and completely responsible for what happened (as you cannot realistically keep personal control over the actions of fifty thousand or so employees), he should still be accountable - cos thems the breaks for earning billions of dollars and holding a position of considerable power and influence and not using it wisely or responsibly.

I'm sure the pressure on him as an eighty year old man and the rest of his family is incredibly intense right now and must be a bit of a nightmare, but I'm sure it doesn't really compare to the misery that the family members of some of the people who's phones were hacked have been through.
Especially that poor Millie. What an utter smeg head.

·
Banned
841 Posts
As someone with Buddhist-like tendencies as well, I'm trying not to look at it so much as Murdoch's karma in this lifetime so much as something which will hopefully completely discredit Fox News, and save us in the US from the conservative nutcases who are ruining us. I can't speak for elsewhere, but Fox News here is a complete abomination.

And one of my friends went to university with someone who used to be friends with Wendi Deng, Murdoch's wife. They're no longer friends because Murdoch made her disown all of her friends when they got together.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts