VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I don't want to be duped (again)!

Are there common ingredients in multivitamins I need to worry about not being vegan?

I also bought vegan rice protein powder for post-workouts but, so far, I'm not impressed. It's kind of chalky.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Jack Lalanne said it best, "if it tastes good spit it out."

My vegan protein powder is a blend of chia, pea, rice, and cranberry proteins. It tastes like poison. You do what you gotta do.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Can't you just mix your protein powder into a fruit/green smoothie to mask the taste? Are you just mixing it with plain water or something?

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

Can't you just mix your protein powder into a fruit/green smoothie to mask the taste? Are you just mixing it with plain water or something?
I wondered that too, green smoothies are healthy AND delicious!

For multivitamins I'm a really big fan of MegaFood. All vegan, made with whole foods and no funky ingredients: http://www.megafood.com/

I've been taking their Women's One Daily for awhile now and it's great, I can really feel the difference when I slack off and don't take them (sometimes I eat too much junk, not enough leafy things and this helps make up for it a bit
)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

I guess I could. But I usually prefer the milky-type of shakes. I use almond milk and almond butter to thicken it out.

As an omni, I would use fat free milk, peanut butter, and a banana with some vanilla or chocolate whey protein. It had a much smoother consistency. Even when I turned vegetarian, I used almond milk and whey protein and there was no difference.

The taste is tolerable... it's moreso the consistency that bothers me: chalky.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
I love Alive! multivitamin shake by Natures Way vitamins. I e-mailed them to find that it is vegan-they use D2, but the package just says vegetarian. It comes in both a soy formula (i use) and pea and rice protein. I drink it about twice a week.
Amazon.com has good values on Deva multis I'm gonna buy.

·
Registered
765 Posts
i bought soya protein powder, strawberry and I also struggle with the taste. I get enough protein in but want to start training again and think a protein shake before bed would just be good for me, that being said I would go back to the whey choc mint shake with fat free milk cause I am lactose vegetarian. Just want to finish the soya powder since I spent money on it, but keep on working my way around it.

Also this month ran out of my multi vitamine and can really see how much it helps me I use biostrath which is a complete mineral, vitamine and amino acids one.

I am really struggling from a "female" point of view this month.

So def going to get more biostrath.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been taking my multivitamin on an empty stomach every morning and it's been making me sick. I'm not sure why.

I thought you're supposed to take it on an empty stomach for better absorption? Or did I make that up some where along the way?

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBravo View Post

I've been taking my multivitamin on an empty stomach every morning and it's been making me sick. I'm not sure why.

I thought you're supposed to take it on an empty stomach for better absorption? Or did I make that up some where along the way?
Taking it on an empty stomach is exactly what is causing you to be sick. It should be taken with food.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Taking it on an empty stomach is exactly what is causing you to be sick. It should be taken with food.
This. They're meant to be taken with food. Most people tend to get sick when they take it on an empty stomach.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by obankobi View Post

This. They're meant to be taken with food. Most people tend to get sick when they take it on an empty stomach.
Yep. Vitamins, especially the fat soluble ones, are better absorbed with food. I do take my multivitamin at bedtime just because that's when I can remember it, but I usually have some sort of snack in the evening so my stomach isn't totally empty.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Yeah, mine even say to take them with meals. If I forgot to take mine with a meal then usually I'll have some toast or something like that because at least it's better than taking them on an empty stomach or not at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts