VeggieBoards banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted or gone on this board in a while.<br><br>
A friend of mine who had been vegan for a while went to a family nutritionist to be advised on her diet. The nutritionist on top of telling her to avoid certain other foods (like yellow corn) told her to avoid texturized soy protein (TVP?) in mock meat products because it contained MSG. MSG is apparently a toxin that causes nerve damage by over exciting them, not sure exactly how, and I think I remember reading somewhere that they put this in some mock meats to enhance the taste.<br><br>
If MSG is in mock meats than it would make sense to avoid them, but the nutritionist had advised my friend to start eating chicken again in order to keep up her protein intake. Needless to say I'm a bit skeptical of this expert.<br><br>
Does anyone have any better information about MSG in TVP or mock meats?<br><br>
Any information or opinions would be helpful

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Good seeing you again.<br><br><br><br>
Yes, from what I understand there IS MSG in fake meats. Often, it comes under other names but it's there. It is a flavour enhancer and it is an excitotoxin (sp?). HOWEVER, there are loads of protein sources besides chicken. Beans, whole grains, nuts/seeds, deep green leafy vegetables and lots of veggies have protein in them. Nutritiondata.com has much more information on what sources are from where if you want to check it out.<br><br><br><br>
I'm not sure why she was told to avoid yellow corn unless there's an allergy/reaction issue existing?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts