VeggieBoards banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Big questions are fine, hard questions are fine. My concern comes in the way it is presented, the seeds of doubt it will plant with no one around to answer, and the over-all picture it paints of my King.

Questions are fine and dandy. Even the "hard questions". I'm not "afraid" of them, and encourage people to ask about the things on their heart.

But when presented in such a way, people might not care to hear what anyone has to say about them, but will shrug them off as proof that God is just like the parody says he is, and never know how completely off they are.

My biggest issue however, is the way it depicts my Heavenly Father and the misrepresentation and misinformation it will plant to lead people away.

Southpark is way worse.

Oh, and I understand people of the world making jokes about a God they don't understand. It bothers me 100x's more to see "Christians" not care about the poor,etc. As that makes a worse representation of God than this clip ever could.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Sorry. I don't like to make a mockery of people for a laugh. Regardless if they are mentally challenged, a celebrity, or my God.

No, making fun of Britney Spears is not funny. Making fun of a child with down syndrome is not funny. Making fun of a homeless person, is not funny. And making fun of God is not funny.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
There are a few things I take offense to that people mock:

the poor, the weak, animals, loved ones, and my God.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I didn't think it was laugh out loud type funny like some of the reviews seemed to suggest, but I think it's cute and al lthe characters are likeable, and it's interesting. (I've only watched 1-3 though)

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
troub, how many did you watch?

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
I say this as an agnostic: shouldn't this thread be in the Compost Heap? It's not unusual for someone to have very strong feelings about their faith- or about their lack of it, for that matter!- and I thought controversial topics were usually put in the Heap.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

Questions are fine and dandy. Even the "hard questions". I'm not "afraid" of them, and encourage people to ask about the things on their heart.

But when presented in such a way, people might not care to hear what anyone has to say about them, but will shrug them off as proof that God is just like the parody says he is, and never know how completely off they are.
You make it sound like potential christians can't think for themselves.

This was really a series of humorous videos for non-believers and christians who don't take themselves too seriously. It wasn't a serious recruitment drive for christianity.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
People can read about "God" in the Bible and come up with their own opinions. Most people can read, and anyone can find a copy of the Bible. Many people give them out for free. My most useful and used copy of the Bible was given free by a witness (not a very good witness, but, hey, at least he gave out free Bibles). I don't think "Mr Deity" will discourage the earnest seeker, or in any way take the place of the effective witness.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
People can read about various mental problems in medical journals, but that doesn't somehow make it o.k. to then mock the mentally challenged.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Quote:

People can read about various mental problems in medical journals, but that doesn't somehow make it o.k. to then mock the mentally challenged.
I'm not sure where you are coming from with the medical journals (what is that analogous to here, the Bible?) but religious beliefs are a choice, unlike mental illness, and even what is a mental illness or not is up for debate.

Do you think religion should be protected from criticism, question or satire? Do you ever question your own religious beliefs? Are you brave enough?

BTW satire can be mocking or insulting, but it is a much more sophisticated form of criticism than just "making fun". Satire makes you think. Satire is an incredibly important form of commentary in society. I don't understand why you seem so defensive. Disbelief is also "mocked" in these videos, and if anything, it made me think. I am not threated at all by mocking of atheism. If anything, I either am made to think, find it funny, or dismiss it as an inaccurate straw man.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I repeat, troub, how many did you watch?

I fully agree with Thalia about the importance of satire in making people think.

Greek scholars tell me Jesus was actually quite funny, and he was a master of word plays and satireto make people think. Unfortunately, it doesn't translate very well into modern English, so we may get the impression Jesus never laughed or told a joke. He knew when to be serious and when to leave people in stitches.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I do not understand why religion can not to talked about in a satirical way? After reading lots of these forums and from chatting to people in the 3D world I have come to realize that people only get insulted by satire or jokes about their believes if they have seeds of doubt within them but are desperately suppressing it (religion and homophobes are the classic cases) or if they have no sense of humour.

Humour can be an amazing tool for putting things into perspective. Whether it is to diminish the importance of an inflated belief system or to reinforce that same believe system.

Quote:

Big questions are fine, hard questions are fine. My concern comes in the way it is presented, the seeds of doubt it will plant with no one around to answer, and the over-all picture it paints of my King.
These videos are on YouTube so if you wanted another point of few you can easily find it, so there are most definitely someone there to give another point of view. People are generally more intelligent than you seem to give them credit for. Those that aren't are probably christian and would argue that the world is just for them and that all homosexuals should be hung (oops couldn't resist it - now tell me off for being a bad boy
).

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Would you find offense to a video making a mockery of your beloved?

After all, a beloved is a "personal choice."

What about a video making a mockery of overweight people? That's another personal choice right? Or would that be offensive?

What about a video mocking vegetarians and claiming that we all eat fish, are thin and pale, and go around worshiping animals? What if this video made it to the public eye with no other viewpoints? Not that you don't think your beliefs are strong enough to stand on their own, but that people are too ignorant most of the time to care to even look at the other side.

I'm not taking offense to the ridicule of my "religion", I find this offensive in that it ridicules my God, in the same way I would if someone posted a video mocking my mother, brother, sister, or friends.

There is a difference between getting defensive, and taking offense to something, and so I will just ignore your pigeonholing attempt.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Quote:

What if this video made it to the public eye with no other viewpoints? Not that you don't think your beliefs are strong enough to stand on their own, but that people are too ignorant most of the time to care to even look at the other side.
So does that mean you don't think Bibles should be handed out or the Gospel preached about unbelievers going to hell without also handing out a copy of Bertrand Russel's "Why I am not a Christian?"

This, and your previous statement of the danger of big questions being asked without someone there to answer them makes it seem as if you want either b)only viewpoints presented when they are followed by every possible alternative or b)only your viewpoint ever presented

Could you use some examples from the videos of what you find to be mockery of your beloved?

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
troub, you haven't answered my question about how many of the Mr. Deity videos you've seen.

Someone want to quote this post for me in case troub has me on ignore?

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

troub, you haven't answered my question about how many of the Mr. Deity videos you've seen.

Someone want to quote this post for me in case troub has me on ignore?
I don't know why he would have you on ignore...but, done!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

I don't know why he would have you on ignore...but, done!
*shrugs* Sometimes people need to take a break from reading another person's posts, and the reasons for that are up to each person. It just occurred to me that he might not have responded to the question because he didn't see it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Quote:

Would you find offense to a video making a mockery of your beloved?

After all, a beloved is a "personal choice."
If someone wanted to make a mockery of me or my beloved that is their choice. Me and the people I adore are secure enough in ourselves not to care what anyone thinks of us. Remember troub our politicians (USA and UK) may not remember it but humans have a little thing called freedom of speech.

Also when I was younger I was a devout christian because that is all I knew. I went to my religious education classes at 16 and within a few weeks became atheist because the teacher told the whole story. Strange when all I knew was religion I believed but when I was shown a non-religious view point I converted to atheism.

As I said earlier if it is on youtube you have all view points. Are you choosing to ignore the points that discount your arguments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

I personally saw them all. Some are fantastic, some not so good. Loved Jesus (so cute) and the Devil and Gods relationship was a wonderful way of looking at two people who split up because of personal differences.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehappyhippo View Post

As I said earlier if it is on youtube you have all view points. Are you choosing to ignore the points that discount your arguments?
C'mon, that kind of thing doesn't happen on VB.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts