VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard of this and couldn't remember what it was called until a friend reminded me. http://www.mrdeity.com/ is a series of videos (I've only watched the first two) which are about God and how he created the universe and other things from a Christian perspective, but he is personified as a human and he has an assistant and other people who question his reasons for various things.

The people who question him bring up the kinds of points that non-believers would bring up, and Mr. Deity seems to have some unspoken thoughtful agenda behind his decisions, (which is what the believers would argue in response) so it doesn't make him look like a buffoon. He does seem a little glib, but he's likable. I think a lot of religious people would find these offensive, but I think believers could like them as well, like with the http://www.thebricktestament.com/

So my intent is not to offend, but to share and see what people think.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

Seems pretty blasphemous and makes a mockery of the truth.

But then again, so does most everything else of the world.
Go to the FAQ. The guy explains his background and intent and he also plans to have episodes making fun of the "angry atheists". He is a former mormon turned secularist who still has a lot of respect for the religious because he understands that POV (accd to him). He gets a lot of positive mail from the religious, actually. I think Mr. Diety has made me think a little more about the Christian point of view because Mr. Diety seems to be trustworthy in his intentions and has explanations in some episodes for things that atheists ask about. He is a likeable guy-- I'd follow him.

But if you didn't like it, I can totally understand. It can be hard to like something that takes a serious subject and treat it with humor. I personally love things that do that (I'm a big fan of South Park, even the Dawkins episode). I think humor is a powerful way to reach people.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I just watched the first one and laughed so hard.

Best part: that assistant sure isn't as smart as he thinks he is. He says toward the end Mr. Diety knows all things, but then he's still willing to wager people won't believe in Mr. Diety if Mr. Diety still allows natural disasters. Um, hello, he just said Mr. Diety would know.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
BTW, troub, what I saw is certainly no more offensive than Bruce Almighty. (Which I also enjoyed.)

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
and what is satire but a mockery used to get a laugh?

It's expected though, Jesus himself said people would make fun of him and his followers for ages to come. We've already turned his name into a swear word, what's a little satire, right?

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I like satires about my faith. I can laugh at myself. *shrug*

One of my all-time favorite movies is Saved! Oooh, scary.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I heard in the interview with the guy who plays Mr. Deity that he's received letters from pastors who want to use the videos for discussion. Some important questions and ideas are raised that I think would have to come up in sermons once in a while. Like why did Jesus have to die, why couldn't people just be forgiven, how does God decide which prayers are answered, why do bad things happen to good people, what does it mean to take the Lord's name in vein, and is it silly for a sports team to thank God when their team wins? In the first video it is revealed that we can all thank Mr. Deity for disallowing the evil of us being able to hurt each other with just our thoughts!

Surprisingly, Mr. Deity says he's only received one hate mail, but plenty of fan mail from believers and non-believers alike.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts