VeggieBoards banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had to move across many states with cats? My cats are not good travelers. The longest they have been in a car is for about 10 hours and that was not a pretty sight. I dont know if I should try to take them on a 2-3 day car trip or try to take them on an airplane. They totally stress in moving vehicles. I am scared that they might have a heart attack or something. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any services that might help? Thanks

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
You "might" want to consider an airplane and have your vet administer a shot that helps to calm them, or even help them sleep during the flight.<br><br><br><br>
Keep in mind that you'd want to make arrangements for someone at the other end to care for them while your driving the car there.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've traveled with 2 cats before, and you're right, it can be very stressful on them. I would make sure that they're each in their own carrier, with a blanket or towel, and that you bring plenty of fresh water and food (although they may not feel like eating). I've also gotten a mild sedative from the vet before for them; it's sort of like cat Valium. It doesn't knock them out, but it takes the edge off. I don't like giving my cats drugs, but cats really don't do well with stress and I didn't want them wigging out the whole time.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Get a sedative from your vet. It will make the experience much easier on you and your cats.<br><br><br><br>
I'm not a big fan of drugging your pets, but in this case, I think the stress will be more harmful than the drugs.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I really don't have a new suggestion, but I would definitely talk with your vet first and foremost.<br><br><br><br>
Best of luck to you and the kitties and let us know how the trip works out!

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
I'm glad my kitties like driving... They sit on my lap while I drive.<br><br><br><br>
Good luck and safe travels!!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I took my kitty on an all-day trip which involved both driving and flying (twice, since we returned a few weeks later), and I gave him a sedative the vet prescribed. I was nervous about drugging him, but I think he was much happier with the drugs. They didn't put him to sleep, just kept him calm, and he was back to normal that night.<br><br><br><br>
I'm also moving in a couple of months, and it will be a nine hour drive. I guess I'll do the same thing.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've heard that it is really dangerous to travel by flight with your pets. Some even die from lack of oxygen and overheating because they are placed with the cargo near the engine......I think. I'm sure someone that knows more about this can back me up on it.<br><br><br><br>
If you have to stop to stay in hotels periodically, it might help to bring a few familiar things into the room like a scratching post and favorite toys......and of course catnip and treats. For sure, go to a vet........there is only one discretion that I have against sedatives. My dog would frequently get carsick and we had a long drive to go camping. My vet (who I actually worked for at the time) prescribed a sedative and I was so worried about him. He seemed fine on the way to the campsite, but on the way home he was breathing VERY shallowly and was extremely listless. He was STILL like this for an hour after we arrived home so I called a different vet who was shocked by the prescibed dosage my vet had given me to administer. It might be safe to consult more than one vet.....

·
Registered
0 Posts
if youre worried about the safety of sedatives, try Rescue Remedy, i've used it for my dogs before, its liquid flower essences and it worked really well for my high strung dog. we had a lot of clients at the clinic i used to work at who swore by it for their cats. and im a person that actually tends to like traditional medicines over herbs and holistics, but ive had good results with this.<br><br><br><br>
and im pretty sure cats dont get heart attacks in the same way humans do, when we think of a human having a typical heart attack i think thats myocardial infarction, and i think that cats have heart failure due to a genetic heart muscle disease (cardiomyopothy?) someone correct me if im wrong, i only remember this because a client asked my boss about it at my old work and i eavsdrop, but im still pretty sure your cat wont have a heart attack from moving. moving is scary and stressful but cats are tough and unless they are very weak or unhealthy, they should take it just fine and get over it quickly.<br><br><br><br>
also, in my personal opinion, a long car ride would probably be much less stressful than a plane trip, they would be with you the whole time and you can stop as often as you need to if you think theyre getting motion sick or anything.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I moved 12 hours away with my two cats in the car. we got sedatives from the vet, but my kitties still cried. they were ok, and fell asleep for about 80% of the trip. they didn't seem to stressed out and i imagine that the car was better for them than the plane would have been.

·
Registered
878 Posts
ya i wud suggest a sedative too and if you take them on a plane make sure the plane will let you keep small ani's up with you cuz i know a bunch a planes will let you do that and like herself siad it cud be really dangourous if you put them down below with the luggage<br><br>
let us know how it goes !!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Yes, never put a pet in cargo. On the plane I kept my kitty under the seat and he was fine, but I've heard horror stories about pets in cargo.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I flew 4 cats and 2 dogs from California to Georgia. I switched planes a couple times and was a nervous wreck, but they all made it safely. Now, when I move from Georgia to Washington State in a few months, I'll have 4 dogs and 8 cats along for the ride. It is going to be interesting. I can almost feel the ulcer forming.<br><br>
The cats will be on sedatives mostly for their benefit. I know it will be very hard on them. I'll probably use the rescue remedy for the dogs. They are much better on rides and the rescue remedy doesn't seem to be strong enough for my felines.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks soo much. I think I am going to fly them with a little sedative. But my poor cats still cry on the drugs (which I hate...It does something weird to their eyes). Hopefully I wont make too many enemies on the plane. I will be flying in the summer so they will have ride in the cabin with me.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Just make ABSOLUTELY sure that you can have them in the cabin with you. I think you can only have one pet per passenger in the cabin, and most airlines limit the total number of pets allowed in the cabin during any given flight, so be sure that your pets can't be "bumped" out of the cabin and into the cargo hold just because other people are flying with their pets also that day. Also, it's my understanding that the carrier has to fit under the seat in front of your seat. And be sure that you know whether you have to present proof of vaccinations, etc., when you board the flight.<br><br><br><br>
I would never, ever, allow any of my critters to be put in the cargo hold, especially not the cats. Apart from the heat and the cold, the cargo hold is not pressurized, and the noise is terrible. The poor kids would be completely traumatized.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts