VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

Well my husband and I are FINALLY leaving West Texas. We found an apartment in North Austin and are moving in the 23rd.

Thing is, I don't know much about the city at all. I've been to a couple of vegan/vegetarian places (The Vegan Yacht and Madras Pavillion) and i loved both.

What are somethings I should know as a soon-to-be Austinite? Any advice?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Oooh I'm keeping my eye on this thread... I'm going to the States in September and Austin is on my itinerary (mind you, so are a million other places that I simple won't have the time to see, but Austin is definitely one!).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatVegan1980 View Post

Hi folks!

What are somethings I should know as a soon-to-be Austinite? Any advice?
1. Don't buy into the "Keep Austin Cliche ... err, I mean Weird" thing.
2. If you're south of Ben White, north of Research, West of Mopac, or east of Ed Bluestein you're not in Austin.
3. After the first month of traffic hassles, you'll wish you were back in West Texas.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

2. If you're south of Ben White, north of Research, West of Mopac, or east of Ed Bluestein you're not in Austin.
3. After the first month of traffic hassles, you'll wish you were back in West Texas.
This.

I lived in Austin for years and while I loved what it used to be, I hate what it has turned into. It has been "Californicated."

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Point taken! As far as the traffic thing goes, we specifically moved in the apartments we have (they are near burnet on Morado Cove) so we don't have to drive all that much...besides, my husband is from L.A., lol.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatVegan1980 View Post

Point taken! As far as the traffic thing goes, we specifically moved in the apartments we have (they are near burnet on Morado Cove) so we don't have to drive all that much...besides, my husband is from L.A., lol.
Well, that's a long way out but a lot of people like living around there. Hope you enjoy it. There is a Kerbey Lane Cafe somewhere out there. Had some good vegan blueberry pancakes at the original one on Kerbey Lane last time I was in town (if you go way south on Burnet, you'll be close to it when Burnet dead ends).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sad I guess I dont live in austin :-( I always say I'm from Austin, I do not live in Austin, I live just north of it. I still say I am from Austin. I guess its my right, my mom was born on bull creek, before it was in Austin, in 1926. They were still 10 miles out of town then, so yeah I from Austin!
enjoy the music scene, and the outdoor trails by the lake....... I have heard that Conscious Cravings is amazing, i have yet to try it. Its kinda like a taco stand, not a sit down restaurant.

·
Registered
31 Posts
another great thing is the farmers markets. I love the one in CP, RR has a good one and so does G-town. I heard the old one on Burnet was re-opening, it was always the best.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts