VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're moving next month and the place we're moving to dosen't have recycling. I'm really POed about this, because we generate a lot of recyclable trash. The closest place to bring recycling to is a state park, which has a facility/collection, but it costs money to go into the park! This is so rediculous. I can't believe I'm going to have to hoard my cans and bottles and find somewhere to take them. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so any suggestions as to what I can do?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Maybe you could make an arrangement with the people that run the park. Try talking to management. Also, contact your local waste disposal management to see if there are other alternatives.

I'm incredulous that a country with such well-developed waste distribution channels doesn't actually recycle better. I recycle four times what I throw out as trash, but I have to cart it to a recycling bin at a Whole Foods market about 10 miles away from me. If everyone recycled four times what they threw away, this would be a no-brainer. I'd say this is a case of chicken-and-egg, but the reason there aren't that many facilities is that so people use them even when available. Just the other night I saw three people throw plastic bottles in the trash, when 20 feet away there was a recycling bin they didn't notice. Maybe if there were 4 recycling bins for every 1 trash can in the US, people would become more aware.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I agree, epski.

At work in the countdown room there are 8 stations, each with a trash can, yet ninety percent of the trash thrown away is recyclable paper. So I insisted that we make one designated trash can, and use the remainder as recycling bins, but my boss didn't think it a good idea.

Seems quite illogical.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm the same way, we have very little trash that dosen't get recycled. We'll have a bag of some kitchen scraps, but that's because I don't have a garden to compost. When we move, I'll have a decent-sized yard, so I plan on composting for my garden.

I'll going to try and arrange for something. I'm going to see if there's a service that will pick up recycling ( ususally at a fee). I'll go in on it with my mom, who'll be my neighbor. If not, I'll get get the park to let me in to drop off my stuff-I'm pretty persuasive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.