VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm moving out of home and into a basement apartment a couple hours away this september.

My family and I have many animals here, and a large acreage- two mostly-outdoor cats, a German Shepherd, and of just mine to care for, a skink, a turkey, and a flock of chickens.

I don't worry at all about the dog and cats, and my skink is coming with me, but I'm growing increasingly worried about the flock. My family seems to resent letting them free range at times, usually telling me just to let them out in the evenings (fair enough, as my dad's business is on the property and they wander around the driveway, and besides have a large run until they come out), but now I'm being told if I let them out, I have to follow them around to clean up after them. So, I'm beginning to worry that they won't be let free range once I go.

And further, I'm worried about their coop- the indoor space is fairly small, since they only go in to sleep, and it needs to be cleaned fairly often- if they're this touchy about the birds being out on the yard, are they going to be too grossed out to clean out the coop?

They raised a flock of their own chickens for several years before I had mine, and let those free range, so I wasn't worried before, but now...

I'm kind of torn. I don't have any friends who can take them, and I don't want to lose my flock anyway- they're good, friendly birds who I've grown to like, and most are only 5 months-a year old, so I was hoping to take them with me when I move into a more permanent living condition, even if that's in a couple years. But now I'm worried about their living condition for now.

So, what would you do? If you wouldn't raise chickens in the first place, you needn't let me know or inform me of my cruelty by having them as layers/companions.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I'd talk to them about it. See if they're willing to take care of your birds while you're away, and ask about if they're going to let them free range, and how often, and I'd tell them I'm willing to care for them and clean up after them whenever I'm able to visit.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm hoping to keep them here... I do have a possibility of rehoming my turkey, which I'm better about than my chickens- a co-worker was mentioning how she loves them, and would like a small flock alongside her chickens. I'll talk to my mother next time she's acting normal. (My dad's okay about them, but he doesn't pay them much attention unless they're making a mess of something)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts