VeggieBoards banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
the movie theatres around here give patrons a choice when ordering popcorn, between real melted butter, or melted <i>becel</i> brand margarine. the proudly display the <i>becel</i> logo on their topping machines. having read the label on <i>becel</i> in the grocery store, i know that it contains whey. i find it literally <i>painful</i> to pay $4.00 for a bag of popped corn in the first place, so i never order it anyway. i always sneak my own treats in.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I always ask what kind of oil (back before I turned vegan), and most of the theaters still used coconut oil, although not all of them.<br><br><br><br>
I love my movie theater popcorn, just had some today in fact (saw 'How to lose a guy in 10 days'), but always tell them to leave off the butter. I wasn't aware that it is sometimes vegan. I think I'll just keep avoiding the butter/butter substitute topping.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
The "butter" topping at my local theatres is hydrogenated soybean oil. I have friends who work in both the major cinemas, so I had them check on it for me. Oh, yum, I get to spend five bucks on 50 grams of fat per serving!<br><br><br><br>
Though I confess, I do indulge from time to time. I can never finish a small bag, though. The "butter" starts feeling...congealed...*shudder*

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Now there is some suspicion that tropical oils are better for you than the transfat that many movie theaters proudly peddle as being a healthy alternative to coconut and palm oil.<br><br><br><br>
Some scientists believe that although tropical oils are high in saturated fat, that the saturated fats from plants aren't as harmful. Whearas trans fats are at least as harmful as animal based saturated fat.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm thinking of sneaking in my own popcorn, I might as well start to do that, I see about two movies a week.<br><br><br><br>
As for coconut oil, I've been learning alot about different fats, and at first I read that due to it's high saturated fat content, avoid tropical oils like coconut and palm oils. Then, I learn that the plant saturated fats aren't as bad as the animal saturated fats, and coconut oil might actually be good for you. Last weekend, a doctor had an article posted in his raw foods restaurant that said coconut oil is good. So... I think I'll just stick to my olive oil for now, but not freak out if something has a bit of coconut oil.<br><br><br><br>
Either way, coconut oil is better for you than the transfats, as Thalia mentioned.<br><br><br><br>
I definitely avoid the trans-fatty oils, the partially hydrogenated oils. Two weeks ago I took all the food out of my house that had that as an ingredient, and donated the dry foods to people in need.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I know that Regal Cinemas popcorn <i>before</i> the liquid stuff is added is vegan. I've seen the package. WRT the liquid butter that is added, I really don't know.<br><br><br><br>
Movie popcorn + Mr. Pibb = My Guilty Pleasure

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
The drive-in discussion has been split into its own thread. You can continue to discuss it here...<br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/showthread.php?threadid=3707" target="_blank">http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...?threadid=3707</a>

·
Registered
0 Posts
I don't care which oil they use as long as the oil meets the following criteria:<br><br><br><br>
1) It's yummy.<br><br><br><br>
2) It's extremely fattening.<br><br><br><br>
3) It will clog my arteries.<br><br><br><br>
I am on a mission to disprove the theory that vegs are healthier people. I just hate that stereotype.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The yellow on the popcorn before any goober is squished onto it is from coloured oil. As far as I understand it, pre-squished popcorn is usually vegan.<br><br><br><br>
I avoid the popcorn now also, most times (unless I have the uncontrollable urge for the theatre stuff) and instead buy a cheaper and healthier) pretzle from the Wetzles Pretzles place inside. (We have those here. I dunno if you do too.)

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that the saturated fat in a bag of movie popcorn equals the amount in several Big Macs, which I'm sure will make Rushabh very happy.

·
Registered
712 Posts
ha this thread reminds me of that scene in Ghost World where Enid has a job at the cinema. Its as hilarious as it is gross.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Like Soilman and Kreeli - I sneak in my own stuff.<br><br><br><br>
I can't eat popcorn anymore (dental issues) - and I really loved it. Now I usually bring in those mini rice cakes and raisins.<br><br><br><br>
It costs $2.00 to go to the movies here (military base). It cost's $3.50 for a medium popcorn........ go figure

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
2 dollars for a movie.. wow, I better start dating a military man. I pay like 9 dollars a movie, if I go at night. almost six matinee

1 - 20 of 22 Posts