VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the ingredients of movie theater popcorn at Regal and Lowe's cinemas? My sister used to work at a movie theater and ensured me it was made without real butter, but I am not certain as I just read something in a book that said this was not the case. I do love movie theater popcorn so I hope my sister was right.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I just asked my friend who manages a regal theater and here's his answer:

"No, we do not have real butter due to lawsuits about exposing customers to it without putting warning labels. How silly"

So there you go, there's no butter in the popcorn at regal theaters. Chow down.

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
I don't know of any theater chain that uses real butter. I figure it's a cost-cutting move. You can always call ahead of time to find out but it's almost always oil.

Quote:
The butter on movie theater popcorn is generally vegan, as it's simply oil with no dairy juices. Simply open your mouth and ask what the butter is made from: cows or plants … and enjoy if it's the latter!
http://www.peta2.com/STUFF/s-eat3.asp

·
Registered
0 Posts
I asked an employee at Loews (an AMC theatre), and they said their popcorn has real butter in it. I don't know if he was telling the truth, because he wouldn't let me see the ingredients. It's safer to assume he was correct.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I've also read (and don't remember where) that due to allergy and spoilage issues, movie theaters do not use butter...

I don't like popcorn, so doesn't much matter to me anyway...

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I used to work at a Lowes. We weren't allowed to call it butter. We had to call it "Butter Flavored Topping". It was primarily partially hydrogenated something. We used corn oil to pop the popcorn, I think. There is also a seasoning salt that we used when popping, I don't remember the ingredients, but it always looked like the powdered cheese in the mac and cheese boxes. This is what made the popcorn yellow. I wouldn't be so certain that the topping or seasoning salt is vegan. You might want to call your local theater, although I'm sure all the Lowes use the same ingredients.

HTH,

~Wonder

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.