VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,<br><br><br><br>
I saw an advanced screening of the movie Fast Food Nation last night. I haven't read the book so I didn't know what to expect. I was expecting it to be a documentary like Super Size Me.<br><br><br><br>
The plot was sometimes a little off in a way but I just wanted to mentioned it because at the end they show a 'kill' floor of a factory farm meating packing plant. It is very graphic - just like what you might see in a PETA video or Earthings. They show the stunning and spilling blood and everything. (of course I started crying and had to cover my eyes).<br><br><br><br>
Most of the film focuses on the fact they are investigating cow manure in the meat and how horribly the workers are treated. (don't want to give the plot away).<br><br><br><br>
I am hoping this film (esp. the last scene) will open some meat eaters eyes (take your meat-eating friends to see it). It wasn't the greatest film in the world but I think it might be a good way to get animal cruelty in factory farms out to the general public.<br><br><br><br>
The main disappointment for me was that at the end of the film they give a website address where you can go to learn more about it: <a href="http://www.participate.net" target="_blank">www.participate.net</a><br><br><br><br>
Not ONE mentioning about becoming a vegetarian on the site! It is all focused on finding sustainable farms to get your meat and dairy from. If you click around the site, there are some links to the Meatrix videos. I guess sustainable farms are better than factory farms but I was still disappointed.<br><br><br><br>
I think the movie opens theaterwide this Friday.<br><br><br><br>
queen

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Yeah, the film was produced by people who want to eat their meat, just like another film they produced, An Inconvenient Truth.<br><br><br><br>
Linklater's veg, but the director doesn't really have any control over Participant's campaigns.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Eric Schlosser (author of Fast Food nation) isn't vegetarian, so I'm not surprised that the movie isn't pushing vegetarianism. At least it is exposing the reality of current-day farming methods. It's about time the public cried out for more humane farming methods, and if this movie causes people to do that, then that's a good thing.<br><br><br><br>
The danger is that people will assume that any free-range, organic, or sustainable farm is an idyllic, friendly home for their animals. Unfortunately I don't think that's the case in many farms. I think a lot of farms meet the bare minimum "free-range" or "organic" requirements and stop there.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I want to see that movie.. but because of the last scene I think I'd vomit in the theater.<br><br><br><br>
But of course I'll recommend it to all my friends! (the nonveggie ones of course)<br><br><br><br>
I bet I could get some kids at school to go see it. Anyways, It sounds like a good start.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
I'm sorry to hear it was such a disappointing film. I was really looking forward to it, after having read the book. Oh well.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I saw the advanced screening, too. The film wasn't a disappointment. It could've been better, but it's definitely worth seeing. Please go see it with friends!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I was somewhat disappointed because I am such a huge fan of Richard Linklater's. Reading the book helped me fill in the gaps in the screenplay, but I would have been happier if Linklater and Schlosser would have chosen two or three key points and stuck with those themes instead of trying to insert every single theme from the book into less than two hours of film.

·
Registered
920 Posts
The author of the book's original intent was anti-fast food chains and the destruction they cause to people's health with all the chemicals, etc. the environment, etc. It's not a vegetarian statement.<br><br><br><br>
However, it does sound like it could sway a few people. If it gets people to think about what they put in their mouths, it perhaps is a good thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts