VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently moved to Louisiana. (I could go on and on about the people down here, but I'll refrain.) I'm having an EXTREMELY hard time finding places to eat here... Everything is fried chicken, seafood, etc. I've been reduced to eating hushpuppies, baked potatos and cole slaw. I can't cook, because my apartment doesnt have much of a kitchen whatsoever. It sucks.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Try to rely on staples like bread, pasta, beans and various vegetables and fruits. Don't they have meat analouges at the grocery stores? Even in beef-loving Alberta they have an isle of food foe veg*ns. Welcome to VeggieBoards btw!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Hello! I know where you are coming from. I lived in Louisiana for 33 years and then finally ran away 3 years ago kicking and screaming. as that is not an option for you...let me think.

What do you mean by "not much of a kitchen"?

Can you get a hotplate? or a toaster oven? At least then you could cook. We did that when we were first married and lived in a flat the size of a matchbox. It wasn't great, but it worked. We could cook at least.

Secondly, when we have had to venture back to see family we found that Krogers had the best vegetarian/vegan stuff and a hell of a lot cheaper than Albertsons. A whole section. Not really meat analogues but soy milk, yogurt, tofu and ice cream. Well, there might have been soy ground beef--but we don't buy that. Plus decent produce and good deals on grains/beans etc. Look out for chicken fat in boxed rices. Near East brand was almost always safe. You could buy things like natural peanut butter and tahini at Krogers (things we had NEVER seen for sale before we moved away) The hummus they had there had high fructose corn syrup so you are better of buying the tahini and making it yourself.

Where in Louisiana are you? Baton Rouge has a Whole Foods that my SIL/BIL swear by. We were 2 hours away from Baton Rouge so that was never an option. Lafayette is supposed to have some good HFS.

Good luck. I feel you pain. the last time we were back in the state there was a "**** fighting protest"---I thought it was a protest AGAINST **** fighting as it is still legal in Louisiana. But NO. It was a protest to KEEP **** FIGHTING LEGAL. As one distinguished gentleman said "The government doesn't have the right to take away our God given right to quality entertainment" sigh........

PS watch out for baked potatoes--most restaurants rub them in bacon grease.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Welcome. I think you'll find several other VBers who've been in your situation at one time or another. My own experience was during the university years in Oklahoma.

Can you tell us a bit more about what you do have in the kitchen..is there a stove at all? There are many easy to prepare vegan dishes like rice and beans, or veggie loaf, or pastas, etc.

If you're anywhere near one of the major cities, maybe you can make a trip for those "specialty" items and stock up.

LA's a special place.

Spidergrrl..this is off topic, but I was thinking about you the other day. I was waling the other day in the snow, and there were these young boys preparing many snowballs for some sort of adventure in the marketplace. This lady and I were giggling at them as we walked by and she says something like "Those looked lethal! Well, I don't suppose we get it very often." When I replied "Not in these parts, at least.", she giggled harder (at my accent). I was imagining you and spiderman with a nice southern drawl and the reactions you may get. *chuckle*

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Oh....enjoy. While it is not a veg-friendly state, and not even a jogging friendly state (when I jogged there in my teens and early twenties, people would always stop to ask if I needed a ride, they just couldn't figure out why I'd be jogging if it wasn't because my car was broken down somewhere out of view), it is a really fascinating, wonderful place to live. Look into the history, the french canadian and carribian influences make it a really rich culture. I had to move their (not voluntarily for certain) growing up, and was always an outsider, but loved the experience that place had to offer. We had a blues artist in residence at our little school this past week and he talked about how the jazz roots in this country coming across from the Carribian. My suggestion is that you figure out how to best supply your dietary needs and enjoy the place.

B

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Awe, I actually love the south. If you have a fridge, you have food. Raid the produce aisle and learn raw recipes or simple eating. Cooking doesn't have to be a factor.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I love the south too, but I've never had to live there. Can you at least get a nice selection of local produce? LA has so much culture & history, maybe get a local cuisine cookbook and try to adapt some of the awesome cajun & creole recipes?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
La does have lots of culture and history...but it also has lots of racism and segregation. There were still towns when i left 3 years ago that had billboards that said "N*ggers don't let the sun go down on you here"

But yes, it is beautiful. I find myself going to a willow tree by a swampy pond covered in green algae when i get sentimental. It will never replace beautiful swampland...but it's the closest I can get in England.

HM7380---make sure you go the Avery Island and tour the Tabasco plant. That is a cool thing to do. And see some plantation homes.

Do you have a fridge? Can you get a hotplate or toaster oven? Then you will be able to be OK. Or as sea siren said--go raw and then all you'll need is a fridge. But you will need a fridge as it will get so hot that food will spoil easily from about May to October.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergrrl View Post

La does have lots of culture and history...but it also has lots of racism and segregation. There were still towns when i left 3 years ago that had billboards that said "N*ggers don't let the sun go down on you here"
It always boggles my mind that these people still exist in 2007. Exactly what rock do they live under where this is acceptable? We have a local nut who camps out in the Walmart parking lot screaming about how "God Hates F*ggots", etc. It's all I can do not to choke him.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Don't forget to use your freezer if you have one. Especially in warmer climates, whole-grain flours go rancid quickly.

If you don't have a griddle or frying pan but still have a hankering for a grilled cheese sandwich, pull out your clothes iron. Benny and Joon taught us that trick.
You can also make regular toast with the iron.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergrrl View Post

Wow. I think we finally found something good about Hurricane Katrina. It's a safe bet that it knocked that billboard down.

Oddly, despite having lived all over the eastern half of the United States, including four southern states, I've never even visited Louisiana. I think it's actually the only southern state I've never set foot in.

--Fromper

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Where is the OP????? taps foot impatiently.

I want to know where they are in Louisiana and if they got their kitchen sorterd out.

humph.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
How much of a kitchen do you have to have to make a salad? Or use a crock-pot to cook up some vegetarian chili? Or a pot of beans? Or steam some veggies? Or microwave some frozen veggies? Or a can of vegetarian soup?

And the OP (who hasn't been back yet) says s/he moved to LA but his location shows him as living in Roanoke, VA. So which is it? LA? Or VA?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Yes...I thought the same thing. La or Va???? Humph.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Maybe she moved to LA from VA?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Oh yeah...that's very different....nevermind.

But I still would liketo hear from the OP.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts