VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Support the New McVeggie!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

McDonalds is currently testing the sale of Yves veggie burgers in Southern California. This is a huge step forward for McDonalds and should be encouraged. Burger King now offers veggie burgers in all of its U.S. and Canadian restaurants, as do other chains like Ruby Tuesday and Johnny Rockets. If McDonalds adopts the burger nationwide, countless cows lives will be spared, and lots of nonvegetarian fast-food patrons will be introduced to a veggie burger for the very first time.

If you live in Southern California, please call McDonalds at 1-800-244-6227 and ask where you can find the McVeggie in your area. Then go out and buy as many as you can, give them to your office, family, and friends, and encourage other people who want to reduce the number of slaughtered and factory-farmed animals to do the same!

If you dont live in Southern California, please thank McDonalds officials for testing the burger and ask them to offer a veggie burger in all their restaurants.

James R. Cantalupo, Chair and CEO

McDonalds Corporation

1 Kroc Dr.

Oak Brook, IL 60523

Tel.: 630-623-3000

Fax: 630-623-5004

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Just got off the phone with Mickey D's. They don't have a list of the restaurants that are selling the McVeggie. I asked who would be in charge of supplying the restaurants with that product, since they would likely know who they sent product to, and she referred me to the Menu Management Team, which is unavailable until Monday.

FYI

·
Registered
452 Posts
It seems like a nice step but I really distrust them. I wouldn't be surprised if they use some kind of animal flavoring in its production.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
heh... Yeah I know what you mean. I just wish they would remove the beef flavoring from their fries. Who wants a veggie burger with no fries. Anyways, I hope they go nationwide with it.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Doesn't look like they're going to have it here Down Under. About a decade ago at least one restaurant in Sydney did sell them, although I think they were salad rolls (ie; no actual veggie patty).

I was checking out their Aussie site and saw their "Beef - 6 steps", where they describe (very briefly) how they make their beef patties (there's a big TV Ad campaign on at the moment about Aussie beef exports for Maccas restaurants around the world). It begins with a picture of a farmer hugging a baby Cow.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I hate McDonalds with a passion since the whole french fry fiasco, but I do think the McVeggie should be encouraged. If it takes off and gets a huge following, it will open up a lot of eyes.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
McDonalds in the Uk has a veggie burger which tastes pretty good, and is vegetarian. Perhaps McDonalds should take their lead from across the pond, where they seem to have gotten it right.

Hopefully, mcdonalds will feel comfortable with producing a veggie burger and stating that it is vegetarian. If they did that, they'd outsell BK any day of the week.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I did try one bite of a McDonalds veggie burger in the UK but I didn't like it. I wonder how different the American burger will be. It is good news though. On a side note, I used to like the old burger king burgers. They were amzing but then they dropped them for what I don't think is too good now. I don't eat fast food anymore so it doesn't affect me but I think it's great that more veggie burgers are around.

·
Registered
0 Posts
oh! i posted this somewhere else earlier and then i found this thread... mc donalds japan has just introduced a tofu sandwich. the patty is tofu with onions and it is fried, served with lettuce and dressing on a bun. it's not too bad at all.

even though tofu is such a big part of the diet here, i haven't found any japanese company that makes things like soy cheese or tofu dogs or the like. i have to order it all from an import company! of course, the plain tofu here is heavenly!

·
Registered
828 Posts
McDonald's has had a McVeggie in Canada for months, since last summer. It is Yves brand, and I tried it once and it was gross. It tasted like they dumped a whole pepper shaker on it and they didn't have any sauce on it and it was dry. I don't like the Yves brand products.

I haven't eaten at Rotten Ronnie's since and probably never will again.

I do admit I like the BK veggie once in a while.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmm, I like the yves patties. I tried the McVeggie when I was in New York City and thought it was decent. But I don't think they'll outsell Burger King unless they make their fries vegetarian as well.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
My least favorite Yves products are the fake lunch meats, canadian-style fake bacon, and the veggie dogs. Too phony/weird for me. I don't know what I'll think if I get a chance to try this burger, but I'll be sure to report back.

As for out-selling Burger King if they make their fries vegetarian, Burger King's fries aren't, so why should that matter?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
According to their ingredients list, it's not true.

caveat: It's conceivable they changed their formula since the last time I looked at their ingredients poster over the winter holidays.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by epski

caveat: It's conceivable they changed their formula since the last time I looked at their ingredients poster over the winter holidays.
That would be a relief, but I am not convinced. I have heard chicken flavor for a long time now.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by epski

Really? Where are you finding this? I'd like to know as I still eat at BK.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Strix

I wouldn't buy anything from that disgusting corporation, veggie or not.
word. Even if you buy the burger with the intention of helping support the veggie burger, you're still feeding the corporate monster and supporting animal cruelty.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have another question. I read once that someone said the pickles aren't vegan either. Can anyone clarify that?

Also, I was checking their ingredient list today and they've revised the bun ingredients to say "natural and artificial butter flavor from plant sources". I wonder if they have made their bun vegan? I'll have to check into that.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
PS: I just called the corporate office (305-378-3535) and asked pointedly if their fries or onion rings contained any animal ingredients and they said No. They said the natural and artificial flavors are all from vegetable sources.

Maybe they used to contain chicken flavoring but from the information I can find it looks like they've changed. PPS: I forgot to ask if the butter flavoring on the bun still contains dairy.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts