VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have mouth ulcers (they arent exactly medically diagnosed. but... bear with me) i have been veg for 4 months. i looked it up and a change in diet can cause them. my mom seems to think that it is cuz im a veg. has anyone ever had these b4? i know it cant be from lack of Vitamin C cuz i take a multivitamin w/ 100% VitC in it every day. plz help me!!!

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
First, how many do you have?
I have never heard of getting sores for being veg*n. There are countless reasons as to why you'd have them. Wikipedia lists
Quote:
The types of ulcers are diverse, with a multitude of associated causes including: physical abrasion, acidic fruit, infection, other medical conditions, medications, and cancerous and nonspecific processes. Once formed, the ulcer may be maintained by inflammation and/or secondary infection. Two common types are aphthous ulcers ("canker sores") and cold sores (fever blisters, oral herpes). Cold sores around the lip are caused by viruses.
So it can be any of those reasons or more. Taking aspirin can even cause them. Don't worry about the being vegetarian part. You can put some sort of gel or ointment on it designed for those and it'll go away over time.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I've always been prone to getting canker sores since I was kid and an omni. My whole family seems to be cursed with getting them also and they're all omnis.

Personally I found I've had success taking l-lysine pills if I get them and using a toothpaste that's SLS free. Different things trigger them in different people but I doubt it has anything at all to do with being vegetarian.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts