VeggieBoards banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is my first post I actually just found this place after trying to search for help. Didn't know it existed and it looks like cool place. I am a vegan from NYC and have a bit of an issue I would appreciate some help with.

I have this mouse that I saw running around my house last night. I have a cat and apparently it hasn't deterred the brave little guy. After 10 years of living here and 10 years of having a cat I've never had a mouse before and I think the only logical answer is that my upstairs neighbors (I live in a two-story condo) are going through a major renovation and somehow a mouse got in there maybe because their door has been wide-open open for a few days now. It's worth noting I live next to a big park and forrest-ish area. So anyway, last night my cat started bugging out chasing something so I looked and found a mouse and it ran under a radiator with my cat in hot pursuit. I looked with a flashlight and it was gone I'm guessing that was the point of entry since plumbing pipes connect upstairs perhaps.
So here's my question: I have no intention of killing this mouse, and am not even scared of it. Quite frankly, if there wasn't a chance that it would contaminate food or something and get my cat sick I wouldn't even care about it to be honest. However, I would like to get it out diplomatically as to not create a health risk for my cat. My concern is that I've read online that relocating mice often kills them due to environmental changes. So does anyone have any credible info about relocation that could help?

I have a non-kill trap I purchased and am willing to move it wherever I need to if it comes back. Of course, it could have just gotten lost or something and now that it saw there is a cat here it may not come back. So I'm not going to set the trap unless I see it again, but if I do see it and catch it, I'd like to know ahead of time where is the best place to take it to give it the maximum chance of survival. It's summer here so the weather is nice so it's not like it will have climate shock. I can take it to the backyard area about 50 feet away where there is tons of forrest space, or can drive it a little further to another heavily forested area. It's a small black mouse.
PS - If my cat does catch it and kills it via biting into it, what are the health risks associated with that? Even if he eats it, or doesn't eat it, I'm guessing if the mouse has some sort of virus it can transfer to my cat no? That's what I'm scared of most. Any fact based advice would be welcomed. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
I'm betting that it won't be back. I've had a few mice over the years and got to trap one and take it out, and the others just left. I have ten cats.

I wouldn't worry about a virus, but mice can carry parasites and ticks. I'd worry more about the neighbors using poison and your cat coming across a dead mouse

I would relocate it far as possible if you do catch it. I've never heard about mice having moving issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well if a mouse has only lived inside of a house its whole life, how well it can fare in the wild when it is relocated suddenly? Isn't that a legit concern? I read in a few places while researching this that they lack the experience to survive outdoors. I guess if it does come back and I do catch it that I will also move him with a shoebox with a hole in it small enough for the mouse to get in and out and pack it with some "parting gift outdoor starter pack" stuff like some soft paper towels to hang out in and some peanut butter and grains this way when it gets out it can have some food and stuff to adjust and maybe make a nest in the shoebox. I read that putting it somewhere where it is under cover and sort of "hidden" is best. Usually they make nests and homes for themselves anyway and it may be already used to having one so the least I could do is give it every chance I can to survive outdoors.

Hopefully it just never comes back and I don't have to worry about it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts