VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Omg I'm watching a documentary on climbing my Everest. It's really scary.
People die from this! And its just for fun or whatever.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
People are soooooooooooooo crazy!

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Supposedly, other than the extreme altitude and cold (which shouldn't be ignored), Everest is not a challenging climb.

I read Krakauer's book on it ("Into Thin Air"), and I'm still amazed at how dumb people are. It strikes me as middle-class idiot syndrome. We live a lot of our lives protected, and some people don't realize that one mistake can kill us.

It's like the story of Green Boots. That should give climbers a sense of caution (green boots is (was?) a corpse on Everest, who died there, and was left there).

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Way to generalize, das. Some people enjoy outdoors and risk. Why are they dumb? List your hobbies and achievements so I can call them dumb.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Its insane and daring to go up Mt Everest I know (even more so to go up K2 or whatever that thing is called), but in a way I can understand why someone would do that, many people risk their lives every day anyway. If you are sitting in your house an asteroid could fall on you.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
No, I enjoy living.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
We've all gotta do our own thing. A life in a bubble is not a life no matter how long it lasts. And besides, statistically speaking, most of the leading causes of death can in fact be linked to the boring, sedentary behavior that most people seem to think of as risk free. Why is slowly killing ourselves with drugs, alcohol, fast food, sedentary hours in front of the T.V., and tobacco socially acceptable but risks that incorporate a bit of challenge are not?

Not so much into the extreme mountain climbing, but hiking in parts of the world that most people are too out of shape to get to definitely offers rewards that, in my opinion, far outweigh the risks associated with them. And SCUBA diving, skydiving, and bungee jumping, nothing like it. If someone would rather sit and watch Dancing with the Stars, or go "hiking" on some well traveled hill 15 minutes from their house, they are welcome to do so, and I sincerely hope they enjoy it. It doesn't satisfy me though. There is no challenge to modern life, and I find myself needing that more and more. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you want to believe it's stupid, by all means believe it, so long as you don't start grabbing protest signs and trying to get in my way or something.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

Way to generalize, das. Some people enjoy outdoors and risk. Why are they dumb?
Because they lack the experience and skills needed to climb Everest.

Instead, they rely heavily on guides, some of which push to make the summit, even if conditions are unfavorable.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

Way to generalize, das. Some people enjoy outdoors and risk. Why are they dumb? List your hobbies and achievements so I can call them dumb.
I don't think das was saying that climbing in general is dumb, just that some people who engage in such risky activities without experience and proper caution are dumb.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

Because they lack the experience and skills needed to climb Everest.

Instead, they rely heavily on guides, some of which push to make the summit, even if conditions are unfavorable.
Very true. You can't buy your way to summit. They are certainly welcome to try though if that's where they want to put their money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts