http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets...Food/index.aspFruits and vegetables, firm (such as cabbage, bell peppers, carrots, etc.)...
Small mold spots can be cut off fruits and vegetables with low moisture content. It's difficult for mold to penetrate dense foods.
agreed. if you see a spot of mold on the bread the mold has already infiltrated the whole of the bread and that is just the most dense outcropping.Originally Posted by Lothar M Kirsch
There are moulds and moulds ...
I definitely advise discarding any bread with mould. Same applies to cheese if it isn't the case you packed camenbert and hard cheese together.
Sometimes the tio of a jar of selfmade jam might have some mould and it would be OK to discard the top inch ans use the rest.
The reason is: in bread the mould spreads without you being able to see it. Jam might have some fluid on top with a concentration of sugar that still allows mould to develop but deeper in the jam the sugar concentration is too high for mould spore to survive and hence to develop.