VeggieBoards banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
I know this thread is a bit older but i wanted to chuck in another suggestion: find some exercise form that you can get really pumped about. It'll change your life.

For me, that exercise is dance. I picked up oriental dance after a life of being the chubby, bullied girl with glasses who was bad at sports. Well, what do you know? I picked up the basics fast and am devouring instructional DVDs, scholarly articles on the ethnic origins of certain folkloric dances, forum posts concerning performing etiquette and costuming no-nos and immersing myself daily in classical Arabic music.

It's not a cardio workout, but the only reason I ever feel motivated to really do other exercise is thinking, "Stronger glutes will give me bigger, more controlled hip bumps and my mayas would be so much more fluid if I worked on my obliques..." All exercise has become a means to the end of improving my dance to me, and it works very well as a motivation. I dance all day long, just practicing glute squeezes or belly rolls on the bus under my big winter coat or shimmying while cooking or going down the hall. I certainly get my half hour of exercise daily, it's just divided up into small, barely-noticable chunks. It also makes me feel good and veeeeery positive about my body. (Bellydance is very inclusive to different body types.)

In conclusion: I think it's the best if you find "your" exercise (be it dance or martial arts or aquatic sports or...) that you dedicate yourself to because it speaks to your heart, and treating other stuff (like gym maybe) as supportive: not necessarily the most fun but leading to a definite goal that you will enjoy in your chosen dedication.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts