VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do (if anything) for your mother? My mom is my rock. This week we have been through a family upheavel that has broken both of us down to our cores. She works on Sunday. I'm going to have her come here from work. I just can't think of anything that seems like enough, but I also know that just being here with her is exactly what she wants.

So cheer me up, folks of VB! Tell me what you will do to celebrate your mom.

In other Mother's Day news, my own family keeps asking me what I want. My head is in such a crazy space that I can't even come up with one idea. Maybe I'll find that here.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I'm sorry about your troubles.

Happy early Mother's Day to you and yours!

Sunday is my b-day as well, so the fam and I are all going out to a nice restaurant to eat drink and be merry! Enjoying each others company and being around family is the best gift of all!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, happy birthday! Sounds like you have about the perfect day planned. Enjoy every second!

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Sounds like the two of you need to have a relaxing time together. Like you, my mom was my rock. She passed away eleven years ago, and Mother's Day is still kinda tough. Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll let her know how much she means to you.
I've been dropping hints about an ice cream maker and a copy of The Vegan Scoop. There's a lot of top secret stuff going on around here, so I think I may be making something good this Sunday!As far as celebrating Mothers' Day,it's just my daughter and me. We plan to have a nice brunch at Whole Foods, and the rest of the day will be spent prepping for my first grade class Mommy and kid tea party on Monday. We have a gorgeous garden behind the elementary building, and each of the kids has a tomato plant they've been taking care of. Our coach takes them to the garden every day to harvest their goodies. They donated their pickings so that we could serve the mothers tomato sandwiches. We also harvested some spinach so I'll be looking for a nice vegan spread to serve with that. Since I'm in charge of food we'll have all sorts of little vegan tea sandwiches ,fruit kabobs, strawberry shortcake cupcakes and lemon cookies with all sorts of tea and some nice cherry pink lemonade punch.The class wrote essays on the top ten reasons why they loved their moms, and some were hilarious! They plan to read them aloud on Monday.It's so cute to see how excited they are. We had a little discussion about how this was the party for the mommies so they would be serving them first.A few had a tough time wrapping their heads around that concept!

I hope you and your mom have a nice time together, and that things are going better.Happy Mother's Day!

·
Registered
963 Posts
My mom and I don't currently live anywhere near each other so a phone call will have to do. That will change next month since I'll be moving back home so next year I'll be able to cook something nice for her or take her out for dinner.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
No idea about my mother yet. I see her all the time and I think the family is going to the beach and that will be a bit of a drive for us. I will however get her some hair products that she requested earlier today. I may meet my bf's mom. I have not meet her yet and they do not get along very much. I am nervous about that.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I don't get to see my mom much. I live 3 hours away from my parents and between my husband's job and my school schedule, we don't get home often at all. Neither of my brothers will be able to be around for Mothers Day, so I've spent this week working like crazy on everything I have for school so I can go see her this weekend. When I told her I was coming to see her she way beyond excited. We'll spend the whole weekend just hanging together

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
My partner and I are going his mother's house for a BBQ. We're going to make her favourite desserts: strawberry shortcake with coconut milk whipped cream and pineapple upside down cake. There's a lovely fair trade shop that sells the absolute best flowers in the city (that no one knows about), so we'll get her a huge bouquet of flowers to tide her over until her garden is in bloom.

We go once a month for dinner as it is, there will just be more flowers and desserts this time.
We both love it there, it's so relaxing. She's also got two great big dogs that are always up for hugs!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
usually I cook for my mom on mothers day - it's up to her if she wants something like a cake or if she wants a meal - or even if she wants both. every so many years I don't do anything other than get her a card and an ice cream cake though, because when it falls on May 11th, my brother takes her out for dinner, since it's also his birthday.

I have to figure out something for my best friend's mom too, this year, because he's still overseas and his birthday is tomorrow, so she's pretty upset about it. understandably, of course. I just have no idea what to do, other than maybe buy her some flowers, say they're from him, and then let him know before she sends him a letter or something. hmm.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Hugs to everyone that's lost their mothers, won't be able to visit them this year and those who just don't have a good relationship with them.

And Happy Mother's Day to all the moms on here! Hope you have a great day

·
Registered
632 Posts

especially for all the mothers here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsschu2u View Post

What do you do (if anything) for your mother? My mom is my rock. This week we have been through a family upheavel that has broken both of us down to our cores.
hope you have an awesome day today with your mom and family. *hugs*
my mom is my rock as well. and since she only lives a stones throw away, i'll be wandering over back and forth throughout the day. we asked her what she wanted to do and so we are all getting together later for a late lunch/early dinner. she loves her Thai food so one of my brothers is going to pick up take out from her favorite restaurant and the Boston creme pie from Safeway she also requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

.... and the rest of the day will be spent prepping for my first grade classMommy and kid tea party on Monday. We have a gorgeous garden behind the elementary building, and each of the kids has a tomato plant they've been taking care of. Our coach takes them to the garden every day to harvest their goodies. They donated their pickings so that we could serve the mothers tomato sandwiches. We also harvested some spinach so I'll be looking for a nice vegan spread to serve with that. Since I'm in charge of food we'll have all sorts of little vegan tea sandwiches ,fruit kabobs, strawberry shortcake cupcakes and lemon cookies with all sorts of tea and some nice cherry pink lemonade punch.The class wrote essays on the top ten reasons why they loved their moms, and some were hilarious! They plan to read them aloud on Monday.It's so cute to see how excited they are. We had a little discussion about how this was the party for the mommies so they would be serving them first.A few had a tough time wrapping their heads around that concept!
omg, that sounds so sweet. i think that's my favorite age when kids are at their awesomest, in the 6 to 9 range.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
My son called and he's driving an hour and a half to be here for dinner. That is truly the best present I could ask for. Since he is married, I have to share them on the holidays. But his wife is working today (she's a nurse), so he's coming alone. I'm so happy! We're all going, along with my parents, to a gourmet pizza restaurant downtown.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Happy Mother's Day to all the mommies! My only advice would be spend as much quality time as you can with your mom while you have her. My mother died 11 years ago and my one huge regret is not spending more time with her in the last years. Today I am just being lazy!

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
I didn't do anything Superspecial for my mother today.

I grace her with the gift of my presence almost every day of the week.

(Also, my sister bought her tickets for a tour of the Budweiser brewery, so I really couldn't out-do that. Crappy beer and Clydesdales, how could you go wrong?!)

·
Registered
966 Posts
My mom and I are going to go see a movie in a couple of hours.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
To all of the Moms, and people who are luved and cherished by Moms... Happy Moms Day!

today my Mom and I hung out a bit and got her fave chinese take-out for dinner and bought her fave lemon maringue pie for dessert and hung out some outside it was georgus and sunny we were going through some things in the garage and had some laughs....it was a nice day!!

Peace

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
my brother and his gf, my husband and i all go over to my mom's every sunday for dinner as is, she always makes a huge meal. so on mothers day and usually on/near her birthday (and other random occassions just because) we do the cooking so she can relax (but my mom doesn't know how to relax and flutters around the kitchen asking if we need help every 30 seconds hahaha i have to let her chop or stir something or her head'll explode i think)
this year hubby and i made pad thai. we made it vegan and from scratch, and he made shrimp on the side that they just added on their plates.
it could have been spicier but turned out great for a first attempt.
for a gift well i'm unemployed atm and hubby is a student so we couldn't afford much, we got hanging flower baskets for my mom and his mom, and since they were on sale 3 for $25 we gave one to his grandmother also.

as for my mother in law we had a big family dinner saturday, her mom and one of her sisters and nieces and the niece's kids were all there plus the immediate family, there were 12 adults i think and 4 kids... something like that. big meat eating family though my FIL bbq'd a big prime rib roast bleh, hubby and i took care of potatoes and veggies, and then they did a chocolate fondue for dessert (milk chocolate of course oh well. i just had some of the fruit before the chocolate got dripped everwhere lol)

·
Registered
963 Posts
I called my mom to wish her a happy Mother's Day and her boyfriend took her out for dinner. I'm sure that was nice since I couldn't be there to do something with/for her.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts