VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
unless you buy local honey from a beekeeper like my dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

A friend once gave me a large jar of honey from a local farm. It had honeycombs in it. I had no idea how to separate the actual honey from the honeycombs. I tried to take one of the honeycombs out and drain the honey out of it, but because the honey was so thick, it really did not separate.

So I ended up giving the unused portion in the jar back to my friend.

This may sound dumb, but they honey was just useless to me.

Since then I have picked up "acceptable" substitutes for honey, like agave nectar.
you use your knife and spread it on toast or on ice cream as is, with the honeycomb intact....also makes like a good chewing gum with the honey squishing out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

There's no real proof that the honey-allergen thing even works.

I used to eat quite a bit of honey. I made my own plain yogurt (from local milk) and ate it with local honey. (I ate about a tablespoon of honey on 3/4 cup of plain yogurt every day at breakfast.) It was delicious, but my ongoing sinus issues pretty much indicate that consuming local pollen, in the honey, does not improve allergy immunity.

Anyway, when I reduced my dairy consumption I stopped making yogurt, and stopped eating so much honey. I should use up what I have left in tea.
there are tons of benefits by using honey, from allergy relief, (but you have to use local honey, made from the plants in your general area), it's great medicinally for healing wounds, is an antibacterial, antiviral, etc. Also works to boost the immune system, etc.

I don't even use it because I call myself vegan, but frankly, I think it's dumb. If you buy from a reputable beekeeper who doesn't let his hives die out, and is as responsible as all get out, I don't think it should be a big deal......AND, if I had used it this week, I bet the pain from my tooth extraction would have been much less....but I didn't.

and BTW, we'll be lucky if there are any bees left in the near future.....this was the first yr in my dad's 36 yrs of beekeeping, that he hasn't been able to harvest honey. The bees are too weak, and didnt' have enough surplus,and hopefully will have enough for the winter. He may have to supplement them during the winter. last winter into spring, he lost 5 out of 6 colonies. Colony colapse disorder is a very real problem. My guess from the GMO crops

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
no, I understand that, and that's why I don't use it.....I'm not going to be one of "those" honey using vegans....in my mind, I just don't agree with it, but follow the rule anyway.

HOney, vs animal based foods/meat, actually has solid medicinal qualities to it.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
sorry to hear. Usually, the local pollens decrease the body's immune response to it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts