VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I'm not even vegan, but I don't think I've ever actually bought a jar of honey. But I do consume things with honey as an ingredient.

--Fromper

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I don't like eating honey much after stopping my veganism just because it's a simple animal ingredient to cut down on as a vegetarian, it's not really something one gets addicted to or craves as much as something like cheese. And it grosses me out now that honey is bee vomit. I see honey buns, which I used to love and think, "ew! Bee vomit rolls!". The only thing with honey that I've eaten as a vegetarian is a small bowl of honey nut Cheerios.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Honey has always made me feel like I swallowed a bowling ball and it is lodged in my throat. I did not know that there was actual pollen in it. I am very allergic to pollen, so it makes sense now.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Mmmmm, bee vomit. I don't use that much of it, but I do like it. Also we have a local producer and that is all I ever buy from.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

The only honey I'll ever eat is local, and I eat that sparingly. (As in, I bought a big 24oz bottle of it a year ago and I still have half of it left.)
Me too. I bought a jar last year before Halloween, about a cup total, and I still have about 1/4 c left. I bought another because I heard it might help build an immunity to allergens in the air, but haven't even opened that. I use honey so rarely (usually just for dipping Quorn nuggets) that it wouldn't bother me too much if the honey was just corn syrup colored yellow/gold

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Mmmmm, bee vomit. I don't use that much of it, but I do like it. Also we have a local producer and that is all I ever buy from.
I told my bf where honey came from and he refused to believe it
He said it was nasty, but eats burgers. I would rather eat bee vomit than the bloody flesh of an animal. Both are gross though.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I've always preferred maple syrup to honey as a sticky sweetener. I don't avoid things with honey in them (though it's rarely ever the case anyway) but I don't buy it because it's too damn expensive anyway.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
A friend once gave me a large jar of honey from a local farm. It had honeycombs in it. I had no idea how to separate the actual honey from the honeycombs. I tried to take one of the honeycombs out and drain the honey out of it, but because the honey was so thick, it really did not separate.

So I ended up giving the unused portion in the jar back to my friend.

This may sound dumb, but they honey was just useless to me.

Since then I have picked up "acceptable" substitutes for honey, like agave nectar.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Off topic a bit but I've always wanted one of the Winnie the Pooh bottles of honey that are sold in Critter Country at Disneyland, at Pooh Corner. It's like the traditional bear bottle of honey, except it's Winnie the Pooh instead, with the same features and red shirt.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

So - is it vegan?
Where's Jemdude when you need him?

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

I've always preferred maple syrup to honey as a sticky sweetener. I don't avoid things with honey in them (though it's rarely ever the case anyway) but I don't buy it because it's too damn expensive anyway.
When I bake, I use maple syrup sometimes, no honey. Love it.
A lot of Isa and Terry's recipes call for maple. Maple is about equally as expensive as honey, if not more. I buy the giant bottle of Maple at TJ and local honey is about $5 for about 12 oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

Off topic a bit but I've always wanted one of the Winnie the Pooh bottles of honey that are sold in Critter Country at Disneyland, at Pooh Corner. It's like the traditional bear bottle of honey, except it's Winnie the Pooh instead, with the same features and red shirt.
I've seen those. We need to go to Disneyland someday together, we would have too much fun

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

So - is it vegan?
Ha ha- thats a GREAT question! If it really doesn't contain pollen, does that make it no longer an animal product? I bet the product still somewhat comes from bees, but they add crap to it.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Geeze. I've seen articles online and in magazines espousing honey as a way to alleviate nasal allergies because it is supposed to contain trace amounts of pollen. I'm sure a lot of people buy and use the stuff thinking it's somewhat medicinal when the only good ingredient is being removed. Ugh.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Geeze. I've seen articles online and in magazines espousing honey as a way to alleviate nasal allergies because it is supposed to contain trace amounts of pollen. I'm sure a lot of people buy and use the stuff thinking it's somewhat medicinal when the only good ingredient is being removed. Ugh.
It seems like all articles say local honey is the way to go for the allergen immunity to work.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
unless you buy local honey from a beekeeper like my dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

A friend once gave me a large jar of honey from a local farm. It had honeycombs in it. I had no idea how to separate the actual honey from the honeycombs. I tried to take one of the honeycombs out and drain the honey out of it, but because the honey was so thick, it really did not separate.

So I ended up giving the unused portion in the jar back to my friend.

This may sound dumb, but they honey was just useless to me.

Since then I have picked up "acceptable" substitutes for honey, like agave nectar.
you use your knife and spread it on toast or on ice cream as is, with the honeycomb intact....also makes like a good chewing gum with the honey squishing out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

There's no real proof that the honey-allergen thing even works.

I used to eat quite a bit of honey. I made my own plain yogurt (from local milk) and ate it with local honey. (I ate about a tablespoon of honey on 3/4 cup of plain yogurt every day at breakfast.) It was delicious, but my ongoing sinus issues pretty much indicate that consuming local pollen, in the honey, does not improve allergy immunity.

Anyway, when I reduced my dairy consumption I stopped making yogurt, and stopped eating so much honey. I should use up what I have left in tea.
there are tons of benefits by using honey, from allergy relief, (but you have to use local honey, made from the plants in your general area), it's great medicinally for healing wounds, is an antibacterial, antiviral, etc. Also works to boost the immune system, etc.

I don't even use it because I call myself vegan, but frankly, I think it's dumb. If you buy from a reputable beekeeper who doesn't let his hives die out, and is as responsible as all get out, I don't think it should be a big deal......AND, if I had used it this week, I bet the pain from my tooth extraction would have been much less....but I didn't.

and BTW, we'll be lucky if there are any bees left in the near future.....this was the first yr in my dad's 36 yrs of beekeeping, that he hasn't been able to harvest honey. The bees are too weak, and didnt' have enough surplus,and hopefully will have enough for the winter. He may have to supplement them during the winter. last winter into spring, he lost 5 out of 6 colonies. Colony colapse disorder is a very real problem. My guess from the GMO crops

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Jess, some people consider it stealing from or exploiting the bees. Fortunately, I don't like honey so it's a hair I don't need to split for my own sake.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts