VeggieBoards banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Happy Veggie
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,
So I was wondering do vegans kill mosquitoes? or any kind of bug that attacks you like wasps, fleas, etc. Because I've read mixed things around the internet on various websites it got me wondering.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Disclaimer: I'm not vegan and I kill mosquitoes all the time.

But I'd like to be the devil's advocate. :p If they're only causing us itching for a day or two, is it fair to cause them death?

PS: Correct me if I'm wrong but I've read insects don't feel pain.

·
Registered
727 Posts
yeah apparently they don't, but they used to think that fish couldn't either so yeah. Who knows? I prefer to just not cause potential pain.

As to them just causing you to itch for a few days it's not exactly true. They spread disease as well.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I don't think veganism is against killing insects that bite, like ticks, fleas and mosquitoes, so much as against exploiting insects for things like honey, shellac and dyes. With the Zika virus out there as well as other diseases, it's pretty much war on mosquitoes. But no vegan would willingly eat one.

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
I do agree with Joan, but also add that the importance of maintaining natural controls. No standing, stagnant, water. Keeping our environment friendly for bats and fish and birds that feed on mosquitoes and their larvae.

I haven't been bothered by mosquitoes in years-- I used to be. I'm not crediting it to being meat free as that's been discredited (afaik), but bites from other bloodsuckers, like fleas and bedbugs and horseflies, are agonizing

·
Lifelong vegetarian
2,617 Posts
I try to avoid killing animals. I show the way outside for mosquitos. I catch them in a glass and point out the exit route.

I do the same with bugs in my house (wasps, spiders, silverfish, flies, etc.)

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've always found moths to be quite calm. I always catch them with my hands and when I release them outside a lot of them seem perfectly happy to just hang out on my hand and I have to nudge them off. Spiders I actually just ignore. I don't mind if they hang out with me in the house.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
I've always found moths to be quite calm. I always catch them with my hands and when I release them outside a lot of them seem perfectly happy to just hang out on my hand and I have to nudge them off. Spiders I actually just ignore. I don't mind if they hang out with me in the house.
Yes, spiders we leave in, and a couple lizards too. I freak at flying insects for no reason lol, so the net works for me. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used to have a little pink lizard in my appartment, I don't know how it entered. It was cute. :p I have months to see it. Maybe my cat ate it. :p

·
Registered
64 Posts
Killing other living things in self-defense shouldn't have to be defended. Whether it's another human or fire ants who are attacking you, it's okay to protect yourself. It's ridiculous to say it's okay to let a bug bite you, because some people are extremely sensitive or even allergic to bug bites (including mosquitoes). And as already mentioned, some bugs carry diseases that are harmful or even deadly to humans and other mammals.

There are effective non-toxic solutions to biting insect control now, which helps a lot. (Control = repelling and/or killing if necessary.)

·
Vegan since 1991
3,660 Posts
We've tried some effective ways to prevent insect bites.

My wife and I used to use a mosquito net, when we lived in a place with more mosquitoes. The only thing is that they do trap heat a little - you might have to turn your fan or air conditioner to a higher setting.

They also have personal mosquito nets:

To protect your animal friends (and you) from fleas, they make flea-protection medication: https://www.petcarerx.com/article/oral-flea-protection-flea-pills-for-dogs-and-cats/121 . Here is an article about how they work: https://www.petcarerx.com/article/how-do-flea-and-tick-treatments-work/141 . Some of these pills contain very low doses of neurotoxins that are considered relatively harmless to companion animals (but are sufficient to kill insects that ingest the animal's blood). Other pills contain insect hormone analogs that, when spread through the insect hive, hormonally prevent the larvae from maturing into adult insects. There are also acute-treatment pills that work very quickly - these require a veterinarian's prescription. Anyway, I'm personally glad they these technologies exist; our dog and entire family used to suffer from fleas every summer. I imagine that we killed more fleas through repeated fumigation than we would have killed with these newer, more effective technologies.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I leave the daddy long legs, but anything from the garden or that will try to bite me needs to go. 

·
Vegan since 1991
3,660 Posts
Any type of insects are harmful for us. It's better to get rid of them as soon as possible. Pest control experts may help you out. They work methodically and dedicatedly to make your home pest free. The moment you get in touch with a reputed pest control service like Sacramento pest control in your area, you get the peace of mind that the problem would be dealt with most efficiently.
Many insects are beneficial. Bees pollinate plants, ants serve to decompose dead plant matter, butterflies also pollinate plants (and they are beautiful!), lady bugs and praying mantises help to control certain insects that are destructive to crops.

Here is more information about beneficial insects: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beneficial_insects

Reactions: Ted Ward

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
I will kill anything that is trying to cause me harm and it's not limited to insects. If I am attacked by a coyote or whatever I will do my very best to kill it.
Same here. Likewise, if I get a bacterial infection, I don't hesitate to use an antibiotic, to kill the invaders. I think it's common sense.

Reactions: silva and leedsveg

·
Registered
65 Posts
I kill mosquitoes and wasps because they intentionally cause harm to humans. I've been bitten by mosquitoes before, and the area of the bite always swells up slightly for several days because I can't stop scratching it. It's extremely itchy and uncomfortable. And my sister has been stung by wasps a few times. I also kill flies because they pose a risk to my guinea pigs. One of them had flystrike a couple of years ago; thankfully it was caught early enough to be treated successfully.

Any other insects (such as spiders, bees, moths, butterflies, ladybirds, and beetles) I will either leave alone or put into a cup and release outside. They aren't harming me, why should I do the same to them?

·
Registered
2 Posts
don't kill insects. Most of them just scary me so much that i can't touch them. I like spiders though, but they aren't insects.
I don't kill mosquitoes, because its just an endless war. I let them drink some blood and they fly away full and don't bother me for the rest of night. I now it can be dangerous cause they spread infections, but i don't care too much if i die. I'm prone to suicidal thoughts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's not vegan to purposely kill animals smaller than you because they sting. Let's face it, killing is much worse than stinging. Mosquitos are just trying to get food because they need to live.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts