VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just gone vegan last spring. Before, my instinct when a mosquito near me was to kill it. Now, they still try to bite me as much as ever, I feel guilty about trying to kill them, and I'm covered in bites.

What to do?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would probably use mosquito repellant, there is one that is Vegan friendly here in oz, not sure if available in the US. The brand is Herbon.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
I draw the ****ing line with mosquitos and fleas. When a mosquito lands on me, I give her a really healthy "pat on the back".

Actually, I've been using my own home-made mosquito spray consisting of rubbing alcohol, and grapefruit oil, in a pump spray bottle and have not actually seen any land on me after spraying this on me. I only use it when cutting the grass. Kept feeling like the top of my head was being bitten, but I was also sweating like hell there.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
I blow towards them to kind of shush them away, rather than killing them. The mosquitoes here are pretty small though.

Also, I quote lines from Tom Cruise interviews. At that point, even mosquitoes go "what the **** is this ****, I'm outta here".

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Sad that people who devote their lives to saving animals continue to slaughter them.

I never kill insects, no matter what. Then again, I never kill arachnids either... how about I just settle for saying I don't kill arthropods. But snails and slugs aren't arthropods, and I don't kill them either... bah. You know what I'm trying to say here.

If I see a mosquito on me, my reaction depends on gender. If it's a male, I let him go wherever he wants. If it's a female, I shoo her away. I am pretty rough, but I make sure to never kill them.

If you want to avoid insect encounters, just wear a good enough bug spray and shoo them away if they get too close. You're bound to get a few bites no matter what you do, so don't worry about it too much. Sure, it sucks to have a nasty bite for a week, but think about how much it would suck to just try to sip at your natural food source, not knowing anything was wrong with it, and then suddenly be brutally crushed.

Don't feel bad about what you've done in the past - what's gone is gone, and there's nothing you can do, so why worry? If you're worried about it, then just make sure you don't kill them in the future. That's what matters.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Citronella wristbands are good to repell them.

Personally, I don't have an ethical problem with killing mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, bed bugs, lice, etc. when they pose a direct threat. But I think prevention is best.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Citronella wristbands are good to repell them.

Personally, I don't have an ethical problem with killing mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, bed bugs, lice, etc. when they pose a direct threat. But I think prevention is best.
That's the same with me. I draw the line when they attack me. I'll take spiders outside, or to a different location in my apartment when it's winter(I don't mind them living with me). But my hospitality ends when I wake up and they're gnawing on my arm.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
If they'd stay away after swishing them away, I could see just doing that. But they are hell-bent kamikazes. I also don't like other Animals having to put up with them.

Same with ticks.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Shell View Post

If they'd stay away after swishing them away, I could see just doing that. But they are hell-bent kamikazes. I also don't like other Animals having to put up with them.

Same with ticks.
Yes. And how many illnesses can be caused by these pests? If they're biting you, you're opening yourself up to westnile, lime disease, etc. What about wasp/bees nests when they find away into your home? They can be deadly to the allergic. And I doubt you'll find an exterminator that will knock them out and relocate them.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
and what about termites, and a carpenter ant infestation? Last yr the ants were horrible, this yr, we didn't have any....not sure why though.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Quote:

One time i was drunk and noticed a mosquito passed out on my shoulder. I hadn't layed a hand on Her.
Hahaha. You know... I don't think I've ever gotten a mosquito drunk

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:

I draw the ****ing line with mosquitos and fleas. When a mosquito lands on me, I give her a really healthy "pat on the back".
I would use repellant and still have tons of bites. One time I smacked one on my leg and it left a blood splatter, probably not my own
Most bugs don't bother me, but when I was in Texas and Florida, they were my enemy. I've never been so itchy in my life.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I hate mosquitoes, they eat me alive. They actually manage to squeeze through our screens (takes them about an hour, but they are persistent little buggers).
I'll have to try some of these remedies.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
You have every right to defend yourself against an attack or an infestation.

An insect actually biting you is an attack.

I'll swat any mosquito I find on me or my clothing.

I do keep them mostly away from my home with citronella oil. Citronella oil is what's in those candles and clip-ons. I dribble droplets around my door frames, and spread the oil around under my home so the rain won't wash it away. It works VERY well and is work every penny.

Not only does it encourage mosquitoes to fly away from my home, but it protects my vegetable garden, and keeps other pests away from my home without doing any real harm. I hate the idea of using pesticides that make the whole food chain ill.

Still, though, if a mosquito is on my arm, I'll swat it.

If you are truly bothered b killing a mosquito, that's okay, Really, it is. Blow them off of you with your breath, and invest in clip-ons and other products to repel them.

Edited to add: Here are a few examples:

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-oz-100-Pure-Ci...#ht_1306wt_698

http://cgi.ebay.com/16-oz-CITRONELLA...#ht_3095wt_698

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

^This.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the mosquitoes up here in Montana can be horrible, but last year i started using one of those electric repellents and lighting citronella, seems to work for me! the electric thing is great for hiking or picnicking in the mountains too.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I squish them if they land on me. If they didn't land on me I wouldn't squish them :p

1 - 20 of 61 Posts