VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone can help me out here I would be truly over the moon.

I got bitten by an evil mosquito the other night and I have had a very bad reaction.

My hand has swollen up over the knuckles(hurts to bend my fingers) and I have two ~HUGE bites on my leg that are swollen and about 2.5 inches sqrd.

I've been to the chemist and I've taken the full dosage of antihistamene but it has had no effect what so ever....so any ideas? Even if it just makes it feel better! I don't have to look pretty...

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Get a musquito net for over your bed, he/she is going to be there again tonight.....

Maybe some alcohol over it to prevent infection ?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
are you sure they're squiter bites and not blackfly? a lot of people have bad reactions to blackfly bites. when i was a kid my mom once came home from golfing completely swollen. her eyes were swollen shut, her face was huge and puffy. it was nasty.

if it were me, and it was really bugging me and not going away, i'd take a benedryl and put some cortezone on it. you can get it over the counter or you can get stronger dosage by prescription if it's really bad. over the counter should be fine though.

i get hives and heat rash on my arms sometimes, so i always have cortezone around, it works well on bites

but yeah clean it up with alcohol first and every time you re-apply

·
Registered
507 Posts
Well, sounds more like a non-mosquito bite to me too. Have you had reactions like this to mosquito bites before? If not, then it probably wasn't a mosquito bite, but something else. Check your bed for bedbugs
j/k

I don't know exactly what helpes, I heard putting a fresh sliced onion half on the spot helps with the itch (does it itch?), but that's only for regular mosquito bites.

For prevention, I just got an email the other day with a list of things, but I deleted it
. I wish I still had it, it had some very good stuff on the list, including the popular smoke'em-away trick if you're camping.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i read somewhere that a fabric softener sheet tied to your belt loop will keep the buggies away if you're going hiking or camping or whatever.

around here you can now buy mosquito netting everywhere. the drug store in the mall sells little hooded jackets made of it. it's because there have been cases of west nile virus. personally i find it more scary than sars.

not that i'm saying you have it lol, i really think yours are probably blackfly or even flea bites, or maybe spider bites like soilman suggested.

is there an actual bump where the bite is? it there's no bump and just a large swollen area, and if there was any blood, it's probably spider or blackfly. if the bump where the bite is seems a lot bigger than a normal mosquito bite, it's probably a flea bite.

i get bit a lot, bugs love me

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey people, they most def. are mosquito bites. I saw the little bugger. And, I have had reactions like this on occaisions - this time was just a little more extreme.

However, the antihistimene seems to have done its job!!!

Thank you for all your advice though, I will keep it in mind

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sounds like you are either allergic of hypersensitive to mosquito saliva. Never heard of it, but I bet it's possible.

I just read up on it, and some websites advice things like this:

- put on a paste of baking soda and water

- (to relieve itch, not swelling) put some salt on a lime and rub it over the area

- someone says that if the bite is fresh you have to heat a wet washcloth to really high temperatures (very hot, but not scalding) and press it on the bite. It will feel like burning on the area but it won't itch afterwards.

- use raw garlic on the area

- haha, I found this funny: "Some people close their eyes and say things like, ?I feel no pain,? or ?I do not itch.? You may feel silly trying this the first time, but you may be amazed at the results."

- use tee trea oil on the area

- or aloe vera

- cool compresses

- hmm, it says to make a paste out of meat tenderizer and water, ... is that vegan? Or butter and salt, but obviously, that is NOT vegan

Hope the swelling goes down, I know what that feels like, mosquitos just love me (despite leaning towards anemia)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.