VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know, I absolutely adore Morrissey and his music, but then he goes and says something like THIS two days after the disaster. As a vegan I completely understand where he is coming from, but it's hard to not get embarrassed when he says such provocative things. Anyway, isn't he vegetarian? Does he not realise that by eating eggs and dairy he is contributing to the murder of animals?

What do you guys think of his most recent outburst?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,063 Posts
**** yeah Morrissey. The fact that his statements pissed people off just makes me love it all the more. What's ****ing 70 or 80 or 90 dead when millions are killed everyday. All he was doing was putting things into perspective and pointing out a fundamental human hypocrisy: we're all expected to mourn when a handful die in the west when thousands die in the middle east from terrorist attacks. And of course even that's a paucity compared to the immense immense quantitative and qualitative suffering of non human animals. **** politeness, the truth is more interesting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,299 Posts
*sigh* I used to like Morrissey. And now I think he's one of those self-righteous @sshole vegans that omnis love to hate. My friend saw him at Coachella, and he said the following when he smelled someone grilling food:

"I smell burning flesh, and I hope it's human."

Come. On. What a d*ckheaded thing to say.

In regards to what he said about Oslo, I think it was unnecessary and insensitive. Show some compassion. The fact that thousands of animals die every day to feed humans does nothing to put the Oslo massacre into perspective, nor does it lessen the blow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopyVegan View Post

What do you guys think of his most recent outburst?
I think it's insensitive. I also think it's less insensitive than the actions by the vast majority of people who will read his comments and be offended by them.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
i agree with his thinking. i am not sure it was a good idea to say that yet

but yeah if i would smell flesh burning i would cross my fingers it was a human as well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

IThe fact that thousands of animals die every day to feed humans does nothing to put the Oslo massacre into perspective, nor does it lessen the blow.
MILLIONS, not thousands. Over 10 BILLION land animals are killed for food every year in the US alone (if you add sea life it's a lot more). And up to 99% of those are from factory farms. Humans really need to put their own suffering in perspective, and not ask for mercy and sensitivity that they refuse to give. The situation for animals is so dire that if someone wants to give it some perspective, fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

MILLIONS, not thousands. Over 10 BILLION land animals are killed for food every year in the US alone (if you add sea life it's a lot more). And up to 99% of those are from factory farms. Humans really need to put their own suffering in perspective, and not ask for mercy and sensitivity that they refuse to give. The situation for animals is so dire that if someone wants to give it some perspective, fine.
I didn't say we don't need to put our own suffering in perspective, I just don't think that Morrissey saying that will cause people to do so. Having compassion toward non-human animals but not toward people (and vice versa) makes you a jackass, IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,577 Posts
If you read Moz's statement in a purely practical sense without emotion attached to it, what he is saying is correct due to the sheer scale of animal massacre that has taken place, but unfortunately that isn't how most of the public will relate to it. So, on that basis alone, Moz's silly gob is always a PR nightmare for veg*nism. Everytime he opens it, he makes it harder for the average veg*n to find tolerance and acceptance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

If you read Moz's statement in a purely practical sense without emotion attached to it, what he is saying is correct due to the sheer scale of animal massacre that has taken place, but unfortunately that isn't how most of the public will relate to it. So, on that basis alone, Moz's silly gob is always a PR nightmare for veg*nism. Everytime he opens it, he makes it harder for the average veg*n to find tolerance and acceptance.
+1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
I think this fails the animals from a Public Relations standpoint, much like the shenanigans of certain face tattooed arsonists out there. We must be seen as people who are not fundamentally different mentally or physically from the average public if we're ever to have a vegan world. That's what I want. Vegan world, not a vegan club.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,204 Posts
I'm not familiar with who he is or the music he does, but I think PETA has mentioned him. I figured there would be an outcry, but I can't say I disagree with what he said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
I'm not saying he is wrong, I'm not saying it's not his right to say these things because it is.
What he is saying is what Norway is doing it's best to protect the right for now, saying what you mean and not being attacked for it.
so I don't know, maybe next time he will respect that some people died practising a politic aimed to protect his right to say a absolutely dickish, disrespectfull thing, before he says a dickish disrespectfull thing?

I understand all of yours frustration and anger at the human race, but if someone close to you died, friend, parents, role model, how would you react to me or someone else coming up to you saying "sorry about X, but it's nothing compared to those chickens being smothered to death!".

Had he said the same thing had this been an atack directed against vegetarians or vegans?
Would you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croxus View Post

I understand all of yours frustration and anger at the human race, but if someone close to you died, friend, parents, role model, how would you react to me or someone else coming up to you saying "sorry about X, but it's nothing compared to those chickens being smothered to death!".
Well he didn't do that. He didn't go up to any family member. If you're asking if he said something similar after 9/11 - something which happened in my own country - would I feel the same as I do now, then yes, I would. If something happened to my own close family member, I'd probably be dealing with my own feelings, not be spending much time with media, and not care all that much about what some celebrity says. He's obviously an outlier who's going to be condemned by every meat eater - so over 99% of the population doesn't even agree with him in theory. For some family member to get really worked up that he has that opinion would be ridiculous. Every human is welcome to chomp down on some tortured animal, complain about the insensitivity of others, while bemoaning their own losses.

Those kinds of comparisons, and thinking about it more intellectually, are not really meant for those who are currently suffering. Whether Rwanda is worse, or 9/11, or the Holocaust, or whatever isn't really relevant to someone who is directly grieving any loss. Perspective isn't really something many people are able to start considering until after they grieve. But that doesn't mean that no one should ever say anything generally because someone somewhere has more feelings about or is directly affected by an event. And some people are never able to talk about something more objectively, even if an event happened generations before they were born.

I personally would not want to say something like that publicly. But I think that people who really know and empathize with what animals experience go through their own hell, and I'm not going to pile on him for speaking a truth, even if it's uncomfortable. Do you think I don't care as much about those murdered animals as much as most people care about those murdered people? The difference is the whole world supports people who care about murdered people. But the numbers of murdered animals is much greater, their suffering on farms is greater than humans experience, and most people - including the people who are asking others to be sensitive to anything affecting humans - are happily causing all the suffering and death.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
29 July 2011

MORRISSEY STATEMENT

The recent killings in Norway were horrific. As usual in such cases, the media give the killer exactly what he wants: worldwide fame. We aren't told the names of the people who were killed - almost as if they are not considered to be important enough, yet the media frenzy to turn the killer into a Jack The Ripper star is .... repulsive. He should be un-named, not photographed, and quietly led away.
The comment I made onstage at Warsaw could be further explained this way: Millions of beings are routinely murdered every single day in order to fund profits for McDonalds and KFCruelty, but because these murders are protected by laws, we are asked to feel indifferent about the killings, and to not even dare question them.
If you quite rightly feel horrified at the Norway killings, then it surely naturally follows that you feel horror at the murder of ANY innocent being. You cannot ignore animal suffering simply because animals "are not us."


That's a bit better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post

The recent killings in Norway were horrific. As usual in such cases, the media give the killer exactly what he wants: worldwide fame. We aren't told the names of the people who were killed - almost as if they are not considered to be important enough, yet the media frenzy to turn the killer into a Jack The Ripper star is .... repulsive. He should be un-named, not photographed, and quietly led away.
The comment I made onstage at Warsaw could be further explained this way: Millions of beings are routinely murdered every single day in order to fund profits for McDonalds and KFCruelty, but because these murders are protected by laws, we are asked to feel indifferent about the killings, and to not even dare question them.
If you quite rightly feel horrified at the Norway killings, then it surely naturally follows that you feel horror at the murder of ANY innocent being. You cannot ignore animal suffering simply because animals "are not us."
I think that's a good statement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

In regards to what he said about Oslo, I think it was unnecessary and insensitive. Show some compassion. The fact that thousands of animals die every day to feed humans does nothing to put the Oslo massacre into perspective, nor does it lessen the blow.
100% agreed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopyVegan View Post

29 July 2011

MORRISSEY STATEMENT

The recent killings in Norway were horrific. As usual in such cases, the media give the killer exactly what he wants: worldwide fame. We aren't told the names of the people who were killed - almost as if they are not considered to be important enough, yet the media frenzy to turn the killer into a Jack The Ripper star is .... repulsive. He should be un-named, not photographed, and quietly led away.
The comment I made onstage at Warsaw could be further explained this way: Millions of beings are routinely murdered every single day in order to fund profits for McDonalds and KFCruelty, but because these murders are protected by laws, we are asked to feel indifferent about the killings, and to not even dare question them.
If you quite rightly feel horrified at the Norway killings, then it surely naturally follows that you feel horror at the murder of ANY innocent being. You cannot ignore animal suffering simply because animals "are not us."


That's a bit better.


That's what he should have said the first time.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top