VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up for my SO, and it looks just like bacon in the pack, white "fatty" parts and all. After cooking up a couple pieces, he wondered why I had brought home dead pig. Apparently, it tastes pretty realistic.

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
I like it. I usually have it on BLT's. The only things I don't like are A) it's sometimes difficult to remove from the plate after being microwaved and B) it's so crunchy that the pieces break into a thousand pieces once you bite into the sandwich.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
We don't have these products in Canada (and I don't think they're vegan anyway?). I tried Light Life tempeh bacon when I was in the states and it was pretty good, but again another product we don't have here. We pretty much only get stupid old Yves products.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

We don't have these products in Canada (and I don't think they're vegan anyway?). I tried Light Life tempeh bacon when I was in the states and it was pretty good, but again another product we don't have here. We pretty much only get stupid old Yves products.
somwhere there is a recipe using sliced eggplant (not overripe-two many seeds) liquid smoke, marinade and a dehydrator for veggie "bacon"

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I don't like it. I just thought it would be more dramatic to put it the other way.
The eggplant thing sounds rather interesting though.

Actually I'm lucky in that I never really liked bacon before anyway. But Mr. Meatless did.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
I love the Morningstar Bacon, and so did my omnivore mother and sister also!

Having this makes me not miss bacon so much. I will say though that it takes some trial and error before you find the perfect cooking time and method. If you cook it too long it burns or becomes too crispy and isn't any good, and if you don't cook it long enough it doesn't become crispy enough at all. But get it just right and they are awesome.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's totally not vegan, but I'd do just about anything to get my SO off of harmful pork. This will definately help.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
It makes a pretty tasty sandwich. I agree with the others;you have to

work with it to get the crispiness just right.

Since bacon is the only thing I miss, it is a good replacement.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The best way to cook it is in a toaster oven. Spray a little oil on the pan first, and then bake it exactly NINE minutes. It comes out perfect.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

somwhere there is a recipe using sliced eggplant (not overripe-two many seeds) liquid smoke, marinade and a dehydrator for veggie "bacon"
That sounds like it'd work.

Meatless: I am scared of eggplant, too, but if you've ever had babagonoosh (I can't spell it to save my life), you realize it does not have to taste like it does straight up.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I would love to try the eggplant "bacon".But then, I absolutely love eggplant

any old way at all.I'll see what I can find.

Meatless, don't be skeerd!Wish you here to try my eggplant and tomato

stew!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone bothered to look at the ingrediants? It's loaded with salt! The Morning Star Farm products to me are just as unhealthy as the real thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts