VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm from Texas but i go to college in mississippi, and they are VERY behind when it comes to veg*ns
and the only store we have in this town is walmart... well we just started carrying Morning Star and im not sure if I should be excited or nervous? can anyone tell me more about Morning Star because i have never heard of it..

Thanks
Tori

·
Registered
337 Posts
Morningstar farms is a company that manufactures faux meats and veggie burgers. I know that many of the restaraunts in California that offer veggie burgers on their menus get them from morningstar farms. Most of their products are pretty good but some of them do contain egg so you have to read the labels.

www.morningstarfarms.com

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I've tried several of the Morningstar veggieburgers and also the fake ground beef (which is great for putting in chili or pasta sauce). They're pretty good! If you are a vegan, you have to be careful because many of their products contain eggs.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Yep. They make good stuff, but more for vegetarians than for vegans. Milk and eggs abound, which is really sad because their stuff is pretty tasty. Though they do have some really good vegan stuff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think their products taste very good, and although I personally don't make a habit of eating them, I think they're great for new veg*ans, for making the transition to a vegetarian diet.

I tend to eat them for comfort value, heh-heh. Oh, and like the others said, read the labels of each products because not all of them are vegan. I ate the Asian patties today and they contain egg whites and whey, for example.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I like their burgers, chik'n patties, and chik'n nuggets. They're all vegan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Go for the CORNDOGS, crumbles(my dad used to be a vegetarian and he would use it to make tacos and spaghetti for himself, my brother, and I), and chickn' products. The burgers and sausages will have you cringing and doing the lemonface all day and nothing but time makes the horrible taste go away.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post

The riblets are my favorite
I used to love the riblets but I think I got sick of them or something, they taste terrible now...

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

Don't all the plain chicken things have milk and eggs in them?

Edit: Yep, Morningstar only has 5 vegan things: http://www.morningstarfarms.com/products/vegan.html
Used to be more but they added eggs and/or milk to stuff.
Wait...wtf is up with that list because the chicken grillers aren't on there. They don't contain any eggs/milk ingredients. Unless there's something in there that I'm not seeing that make them unvegan???

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesssookeh View Post

Go for the CORNDOGS, crumbles(my dad used to be a vegetarian and he would use it to make tacos and spaghetti for himself, my brother, and I), and chickn' products. The burgers and sausages will have you cringing and doing the lemonface all day and nothing but time makes the horrible taste go away.
Wow. You really found them that bad? I always enjoyed them before they added the milk/egg ingredients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

I used to love the riblets but I think I got sick of them or something, they taste terrible now...
Ya know, there was a thread about this awhile back. Heather and a few others were saying the same thing. She said she found them to have a tobacco taste to them now . I wonder if they messed with ingredients somehow.

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
I really like their products. I don't tend to eat burgers or sausages very often, but once in a while they are good for a craving.

To me they taste perfect. For example I love the flavors in breakfast sausage except for the meat--their product accomplishes that.

I haven't tasted any of their other products.

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Wait...wtf is up with that list because the chicken grillers aren't on there. They don't contain any eggs/milk ingredients. Unless there's something in there that I'm not seeing that make them unvegan???
Huh... You're right: http://www.morningstarfarms.com/morn...e-patties.html
They do look vegan to me as well. I wonder if maybe they just haven't updated the list?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Ya know, there was a thread about this awhile back. Heather and a few others were saying the same thing. She said she found them to have a tobacco taste to them now . I wonder if they messed with ingredients somehow.
yuck well thats not good!!! I think im gonna start with the crumbles

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:

I vaguely remember this, and I remember defending them, actually. Then I remember becoming grossed out by them somewhere along the line. It's not that they tasted like tobacco, it was more like a really nasty overdone BBQ sauce taste, like something burnt even though it wasn't burnt.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

Huh... You're right: http://www.morningstarfarms.com/morn...e-patties.html
They do look vegan to me as well. I wonder if maybe they just haven't updated the list?
I don't know but I am going to be upset if they added eggs/dairy to them. I haven't bought them in awhile because I've been waiting for sales/coupons. It's going to suck if when I finally have a coupon for them they are no longer vegan! Hopefully they just forgot to add them to their vegan list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Santa23 View Post

yuck well thats not good!!! I think im gonna start with the crumbles
I don't think you should completely cross them off the list . Give them a try eventually.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

I don't think you should completely cross them off the list . Give them a try eventually.
ok I will, so far so good with their products!
I had some of the mini corndogs for lunch {Delish} and i got the crumbles and used them for tacos and i think i had a slight mouth orgasm (lol sorry it was the best way to describe it)

haha we dont have any veg*n places within 2 hours of me and morningstar just hit our walmart so im very excited about this,.

Tofu and I had a bad experience together, I didn't know anything about it so I just bit right in and have stayed clear of it since... I'll give it a whirl again now that i know to press it and marinade it first

1 - 20 of 55 Posts