VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I'm not posting this to argue or create a confrontation of any kind. I'm just posting a response to Granola's hunting thread that I feel should be in a new thread so as to get lost in ten pages or so of replies.

For the person who started the previous hunting thread, and for the others who oppose hunting, I would like to ask why there is so much hostility against hunting? You call hunters barbaric and stupid (quoted from the granola) and many other harsh things, and for what reason? I am not trying to force anyone to support hunting, but ask why be so "anti" hunting.

If you would never dream of harming an animal in any way, that's perfectly fine. Just don't do it. I respect that and many other hunters do as well (believe it or not). But before you continue on to attack those who hunt, please look at the benefits and disadvantages of hunting and come up with your own position on it, instead of getting information from heavily biased sources such as others who oppose hunting, peta, and other animal rights groups. In my experience I have found most anti hunters (not talking to the readers of this) to be the most ignorant, one-sided people who disregard anything that differs from their views. They feel strongly for what they believe, which is great, but refuse to let others have their reasons for what they believe.

Please see it from both sides and I'm quite sure you'll find that hunters are not just idiotic, unethical, irresponsible, rednecked poachers that they are sterotyped to be. And may I also ask if you do view hunters this way and why? Have you met any hunters, and really gotten to know them? Have you been exposed to enough hunting to start to understand it and see where hunters are coming from?

You may never recieve great responses from hunters on why they hunt when you ask them on the spot. We can't all explain it as well as Hemmingway or Teddy Roosevelt. If you haven't yet experienced it, you won't understand hunting and why we do it in a few sentences. You need to experience it to get that answer. We hunt simply because we just love it. We hunt because we love the outdoors and spending time in it, and because we love being surrounded by the amazing wildlife that inhabit the surroundings, and because we love the thrill of the hunt when attempting to harvest one of these great animals, be it fish or fowl, and probably most important because we love to spend time together outdoors with the people that are close to us. There are few other activites that provide such a great way to bond and get together with friends and family. (and no, not bonding by violently murdering and brutaly butchering poor defenseless animals. why do anti hunters always come back with that? the skinning of animals for just their hide is grusome. but butchering a game animal that was ethically harvested, what do you think? is there a better way to get the meat off, for those who eat meat of course)

I will admit that there are still many hunters out there who are much like the hunters you have encountered. It's quite a shame that there are hunters that exist who are not safe, not responsible, unethical, disrespectful to those who do not hun, and just plain ***holes. Rest assured that they do not make up the majority of the hunting community. They are heavily looked down upon by hunters and such behavior is highly discouraged. With the help of manditory hunter education, hunters are becoming more responsible, more ethical, more safe, and more respectful.

Again, if you don't want to hunt and consume animal products, that's fine. but please look more into this topic before becoming so hateful of it. Whether you will ever approve of hunting or not, understand that it is a viable means for conservation. And again, I'm not here to make you support hunting so I will not go through all the facts, but I do wish that you will look them up for yourself. And I don't mean look up informational pages by peta, or the information that you get when talking to hunters, but neutral sources such as environmental and wildlife research groups that give the benefits of hunting.

Thanks for reading. All replies are appreciated.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenderMan View Post

First off I'm not posting this to argue or create a confrontation of any kind. I'm just posting a response to Granola's hunting thread that I feel should be in a new thread so as to get lost in ten pages or so of replies.

For the person who started the previous hunting thread, and for the others who oppose hunting, I would like to ask why there is so much hostility against hunting? You call hunters barbaric and stupid (quoted from the granola) and many other harsh things, and for what reason? I am not trying to force anyone to support hunting, but ask why be so "anti" hunting.

If you would never dream of harming an animal in any way, that's perfectly fine. Just don't do it. I respect that and many other hunters do as well (believe it or not). But before you continue on to attack those who hunt, please look at the benefits and disadvantages of hunting and come up with your own position on it, instead of getting information from heavily biased sources such as others who oppose hunting, peta, and other animal rights groups. In my experience I have found most anti hunters (not talking to the readers of this) to be the most ignorant, one-sided people who disregard anything that differs from their views. They feel strongly for what they believe, which is great, but refuse to let others have their reasons for what they believe.

Please see it from both sides and I'm quite sure you'll find that hunters are not just idiotic, unethical, irresponsible, rednecked poachers that they are sterotyped to be. And may I also ask if you do view hunters this way and why? Have you met any hunters, and really gotten to know them? Have you been exposed to enough hunting to start to understand it and see where hunters are coming from?

You may never recieve great responses from hunters on why they hunt when you ask them on the spot. We can't all explain it as well as Hemmingway or Teddy Roosevelt. If you haven't yet experienced it, you won't understand hunting and why we do it in a few sentences. You need to experience it to get that answer. We hunt simply because we just love it. We hunt because we love the outdoors and spending time in it, and because we love being surrounded by the amazing wildlife that inhabit the surroundings, and because we love the thrill of the hunt when attempting to harvest one of these great animals, be it fish or fowl, and probably most important because we love to spend time together outdoors with the people that are close to us. There are few other activites that provide such a great way to bond and get together with friends and family. (and no, not bonding by violently murdering and brutaly butchering poor defenseless animals. why do anti hunters always come back with that? the skinning of animals for just their hide is grusome. but butchering a game animal that was ethically harvested, what do you think? is there a better way to get the meat off, for those who eat meat of course)

I will admit that there are still many hunters out there who are much like the hunters you have encountered. It's quite a shame that there are hunters that exist who are not safe, not responsible, unethical, disrespectful to those who do not hun, and just plain ***holes. Rest assured that they do not make up the majority of the hunting community. They are heavily looked down upon by hunters and such behavior is highly discouraged. With the help of manditory hunter education, hunters are becoming more responsible, more ethical, more safe, and more respectful.

Again, if you don't want to hunt and consume animal products, that's fine. but please look more into this topic before becoming so hateful of it. Whether you will ever approve of hunting or not, understand that it is a viable means for conservation. And again, I'm not here to make you support hunting so I will not go through all the facts, but I do wish that you will look them up for yourself. And I don't mean look up informational pages by peta, or the information that you get when talking to hunters, but neutral sources such as environmental and wildlife research groups that give the benefits of hunting.

Thanks for reading. All replies are appreciated.
You have go to be kidding me......

I am 41 and grew up with a household of hunters as well as freinds and relatives. My parents ran a Rod & GUn club for years, so I was able to meet lots of 'them' as well.

When I was in the workforce I was associated with thousands of people over the years who have hunted.

Let me tell you they are just sickening. The way the talk about killing them and laughing and giggling like little kids no matter what their ages....I have never met a hunter that can come up with more than 'population control' or 'to keep them from running into your car' crap.

You are just trying to stir up the pot and you have succeeded. Did you see the article that I posted in the other thread about the guy who 'Jumped it's bed. Shot it and 30 yards later it was all over'..did you see it and read it?

This is a 21 year old kid talking like that! THAT is sick! That is a COWARD!

We do not need to kill for food and we do not need the 'heros' out there helping us by killing/murdering poor innocent animals.

A SPORT....wow..what is wrong with us? What is in the minds of man?

So why would you try to convince us that hunting is OK?? That is the question?

·
Registered
0 Posts
This person just joined and has one post. So it is obviously that he is stirring the pot.

Guess he/she has nothing to do until he/she goes back to get food for the family!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
but please look more into this topic before becoming so hateful of it. Whether you will ever approve of hunting or not, understand that it is a viable means for conservation. And again, I'm not here to make you support hunting so I will not go through all the facts, but I do wish that you will look them up for yourself. And I don't mean look up informational pages by peta, or the information that you get when talking to hunters, but neutral sources such as environmental and wildlife research groups that give the benefits of hunting.
i did do all of this, and i still do not agree with hunting. what else you got?

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
purrpelle, i'm glad you have looked it up and have come up with your own position.

barrylove, do i not have to right to come across this forum and start a discussion? do i need 50 posts under my belt before i do? i'm trying to be civil. i am a life long fisherman and have only recently entered the world of hunting. i thought about it alot, and came to the conclusion that it was something that i would like to experience. the hunters who i've been around my entire life have displayed nothing but a love and passion for the outdoors. they don't get off by blood and guts. who actually has started a hunting conversation by commenting on how joyous it was to gut their kill? it's not about that.

how is man harvesting his food not the most natural thing he can do? because hunting it is ancient it is barbaric? if you'd rather grow and pick crops that's fine, but what about the farmer that has to kill all the rodents and such that also consume those crops? isn't that and hunting both killing for food?

and that 21 year old kid, yes that is sickening. you will never flip through a hunting magazine or watch a segment on a hunting show promoting such behavior.

as i said, i'm relatively new to hunting, and since entering the hunting world i have noticed how there are so many people who hate it with a passion. i'm just trying to talk to you and have a discussion. i realize this may be the wrong place to bring something like this up, and i appologize for that. i just wanted one discussion, and then walk away with more to think about. if you want to stir things up then go ahead. your view on hunting and hunters will remain the same and my views on non-hunters will continue to plunge. brun the bridges if you wish.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I seriously doubt a fisherman and a hunter is going to be a vegetarian, which disqualifies the OP from membership here. So I'm closing this thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.