VeggieBoards banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having heartburn (I usually don't get it at all) since becomine veggie. Im mentioned to my husband today and he said he's experiencing the same thing. I can't imagine what it could be except for the fact that we eat more beans, tomatoes, onions, and salsa than before. Do you think that could be doing it?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Anything tomato based generally gives me heartburn. Then again, anything even slightly acid usually does. Apple and orange juice are two big ones for me. I can't handle salsa without drinking milk. Onions and garlic also get to me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Could you provide more information? What is your diet?<br><br><br><br>
You may be eating too many processed foods (microwave/pre-prepared foods). A friend who made the switch a couple of years back had the same problem. Once he gave up the pre-packaged stuff and started eating fresh fruits/veggies, his heartburn problems went away almost overnight.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
If you eat a lot of fats, this could contribute to indigestion and heartburn. (Yup, I am vegan and occasionally have a lot of fats in one meal.)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I'm not drinking any more coffee than before.<br><br><br><br>
Let's see, yesterday for breakfast I had a bowl of cereal with almond milk, maybe I banana? I can't remember...<br><br>
Lunch I had tortilla chips with a dip I made from black beans, avocado, tomato, salsa, and spices<br><br>
Dinner was stirfry made with those fake steak strips and cornbread. But...no heartburn. I'm going to pay more attention to what I'm eating in relation to my heartburn.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A lot of times the acid in the fruits and veggies you are eating can cause the heartburn.<br><br><br><br>
I had the same thing - try taking a Pepcid in the morning and one at night for a couple weeks. Then...just take 1 a day. This should help - it has helped for me and I haven't had any problems since.<br><br><br><br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My daughter got quite sick about 2 years ago. She had what's called esophigitis. It was inflamation of the esophogus. She still can not eat acidy foods. She has to be really careful. I know tomatoes are on her list of foods not to eat...so is cranberry juice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts