VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
though it may be an over simplification, it seems that for the most part people stop eating meat for either ethical or health reasons, or a combination of both.

let me ask, for those of you who are involved for health reasons, how far do you look into the ingredients in your food? this is to say, do you investigate every additive in every product you eat to ensure its not from an animal, or are you happy to just not eat a hamburger? whats the backing for your choice in this respect?

for those of you who lean towards ethical concerns, how do you manage to avoid each and every animal additive in food? it seems like an extraordinarily daunting task.

(ps go bears)

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iscariot View Post

let me ask, for those of you who are involved for health reasons, how far do you look into the ingredients in your food? this is to say, do you investigate every additive in every product you eat to ensure its not from an animal, or are you happy to just not eat a hamburger? whats the backing for your choice in this respect?
I stopped eating meat for health reasons (gave up milk and eggs for the same reasons before I gave up meat). Therefore I was a strict veg. Gave up animal ingredients in other items as well due to ethical reasons, thus becoming Vegan.

From the health side of it, no need to look far. Heavily processed foods aren't healthy. So the ingredient list (if any) should be very short and words easily understood.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:

for those of you who lean towards ethical concerns, how do you manage to avoid each and every animal additive in food? it seems like an extraordinarily daunting task.
I'm vegan for ethical reasons and have been so since I was fourteen. Though constantly looking for animal additives in foods can be a bit daunting, I got used to it and am now quite the ingredient-reader-extraodinar. I only buy foods that I know are vegan but if there are ingredients that I'm not positive are vegan in them, I usually write the ingredient down and then search the internet when I get home to find origins of it or email the company.

Like I said, it can be tough at first because you're learning all these new terms and finding out what additives are not vegan, etc, but it gets a lot easier (and it doesn't hurt to carry a list of most non-vegan additives with you when you go to the store). If a 14 year old (now 16) can do it, then I think anybody could.

·
Registered
897 Posts
i actually find it fun. for myself, it has a lot to do with the learning process and level of satisfaction i derive in knowing i'm doing a good thing. i imagine it depends in part on your motives, commitment level, food education, cooking skills, personality, food availability, budget, on and on...

Quote:

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:

I don't research every little ingredient in foods. My general philosophy is don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. But like others said, you do learn what foods are ok or not, plus by just passing on processed convenience foods, you easily avoid most of that. Those foods are usually more expensive anyway. I do read ingredients but after the first few months already knew what was in a lot of stuff, for example that hostess and dolly madison snack foods "may" contain lard. Skittles, all marshmallows, starburst and Pop tarts have gelatin. Restaurants are different, so I just use my judgment- ask if a soup uses animal broth, if refried beans have lard, most Caesar dressing has anchovies (I don't even ask, it's not worth it.) You remember the answers. I don't research the chemical names since most can come from multiple sources meaning you have to call the company- no that's not worth the effort to me.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Ethical vegetarian. I don't dissect the ingredients list either. I don't buy things which are even remotely suspicious or heavily processed though. I figure I'm doing the best I can right now and if everyone would just do that...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.