VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bit of a problem guys, it's a case of waste. I heated up a vegetable soup my dad made from scratch for me to eat during the week, but it turns out he has used a vegetable bullion that contains lactose. I really don't want to eat it & I won't make any more, & obviously I'll tell him when he comes home tonight, but since usually I cook for myself he was trying to do me a favour and I have already heated the one bowl up. I feel really wasteful chucking it and I don't know if it will be good to heat a second time. Since the lactose is the second to last ingredient in the stock, and he only used about 2 tablespoons in the entire thing (about 5-6 bowls worth), I feel like I am being a nitpicker... but I was really put off eating it once I found out.

Should I eat the bowl I've heated or do you think I am right in thinking it would be better to not eat it for the sake of "not being awkward" or being wasteful?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
How do you feel about it?

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Don't throw it out, he obviously went to some trouble for you. Perhaps you can tell him to eat it or freeze it for himself, and explain the "lactose" issue.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeninja View Post

I have a bit of a problem guys, it's a case of waste. I heated up a vegetable soup my dad made from scratch for me to eat during the week, but it turns out he has used a vegetable bullion that contains lactose.
I bought some of that accidentally when I first went vegan.

I agree with Poppy. Hopefully he will eat it instead.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Envy - Pretty awful, but torn. The idea of eating it makes me feel a bit nauseated but I was brought up knowing wastefulness is wrong and I definately feel a big moral twinge knowing I'm not eating it.

Poppy - Oh don't worry, I think I can convince him to take it for his lunches or such, it's just the one bowl out of the pot that I've heated up. Can you reheat a soup a second time? I'm just not sure what to do with this one bowl that I already put on the hob :/

Pixie - It's so frustrating! My mum has a lot of allergies so she can't eat stuff like milk by-products or modified maize starch but even though he checks he's always bringing home stuff that mum can't eat. He just gets impatient & can't be bothered checking all the label so he skims it I think :/
but he's making adjustments. I don't think he really understands what vegans can and can't eat even after I explained to him. They're like unicorns up here!

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
The soup will most likely be okay being reheated twice.
You can save it for someone else to eat.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeninja View Post

I have already heated the one bowl up. I feel really wasteful chucking it and I don't know if it will be good to heat a second time.
I never reheat food twice because of the food poisoning risk.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthahook View Post

I never reheat food twice because of the food poisoning risk.
If it's handled properly after being heated, it's not a poisoning risk.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I don't agree. Food poisoning is always a risk with reheating more than once. That doesn't mean it will always happen, but the risk is always there.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Aww, I'm sure he feels bad now. When I first went vegetarian (pre-vegan) my dad made me some vegetable soup which I was so thankful for... until I found out he used CHICKEN STOCK. Yuck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts