VeggieBoards banner

Mono & Diglycerides

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  1vegan 
#1 ·
"MONO & DIGLYCERIDES are made from natural vegetable sources and are sodium free......"

"i can tell you that it is a FACT that mono and diglycerides can be in factderitives of animals/animal byproducts. you really should do some more research on that. you would also know, if you were vegan and cared to know, that some companies take the extra step to list in their ingredients that their particular mono/diglycerides were of vegetable sources in lieu of animal sources"

Ok, so whats the deal on these things? This is a little frustrating, as there are already so few foods I can eat, and now I have to add this to the "avoid list". ???

lovenlight,

linz

#4 ·
VegAna,

There are sooooo many foods with mono- and diglycerides, especially convenience foods and pastries. I was under the impression that unless the ingredient list specified "vegetable mono- and diglycerides", then it could be assumed to come from an animal. I've been avoiding m&d for this reason.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by skylark

I was under the impression that unless the ingredient list specified "vegetable mono- and diglycerides", then it could be assumed to come from an animal. I've been avoiding m&d for this reason.
You have to check with the manufacturer what they use.

It is basicly some processed fat or so.

I never saw "vegetable x". Even with lecitin they hardly ever state the source.

#11 ·
Sometimes I see "soy lethicin" but other than that, I never see the source listed. I think that companies should start labeling food "vegetarian" "vegan" or "omni". Would that not make life 1000 times easier?!?!

The sad part, quality, is the Tofutti is the most realistic brand I have ever tasted. What are some other good (better?) brands?

#12 ·
well if you like icecream: "soy delicious" brand makes greeaat icecream. NOt wanting to sound greedy but it has all the flavors including cookies &cream. Tofutti ice cream sandwiches are good but extremely unhealthy...... and that's the truth.

They also have "Soy dream" which also makes good soy icecream.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by quality1

That brand of icecream is the unhealthiest brand ever. It has partially hydrogenated oils all in it. Don't ever eat that.
yes, but it tastes sooooo gooooood !

We hardly buy it, because it isn't organic, but it is the only vegan ice cream that is eaten by omni's without any other comments than "yummie!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.