VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been making an amazing tomato black bean soup from a recipe that someone on here had posted. Lately, I have been throwing in a can of black beans and a can of kidney beans. I am guessing the recipe will taste good will all types of beans. I would like to use non canned beans and plan on mixing several beans together and soaking them and cooking them together. I am guessing beans cook at a little bit of a different rate, but would like to get some input. I plan on cooking the beans and then adding them to the croc pot for the 8 hours that it takes to make this soup. Is it ok to soak and cook different beans together?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
They do cook at different rates... but if they are similar sized beans I wouldn't get too concerned about it. That being said get yourself a pressure cooker. I'd have given up on dry beans long ago w/o one. It's one of those kitchen tools I no longer know what I'd do without it, I use them (yeah I have 3 of em) just about everyday sometimes more than once/day. I use the pressure cookers to cook my whole grain rice, barley etc. also.

If you do go that route I always pre-soak (those that need it) the night before I cook them.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
No problem with cooking various beans. I buy Bob's Red Mill bean soup mix which have everything from lentils, little red beans, to big butter beans. Cook till the big ones are done- so what if the little ones get softer?
Esp. soup that cooks so long anyway.

Forster- what are your pressure made of? The only reasonably priced cookers i find are aluminum, and I don't like that. Do you think I could trust ones found in thrift stores? I just saw what looked like a good one, but was scared.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I have a Fagor 6 qt that I use.....

also wouldn't worry about the cooking times. If I pressure cook, It's for about 10 minutes, and stove top for about 1 1/2 hours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts