VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scheduled to take 2 of my 3 kitties to the vet today for vaccinations. 3rd kitty is next weekend. Latte and Mocha were going to go but only Mocha did. Latte is a shelter cat I got at about age 5 months. She is always skittish and refuses to let you hold her but loves being petted. I tried to get her into the carrier and she became 5 pounds of teeth and unholy anger. I tried to soothe her but when I picked her up again after she popped out of the carrier before I could latch it, she pooped all over the place and bit the poop out of me. It hurt!
I was able to take her when I first got her because she was younger and sick and weak. This is my first try with her an adult and healthy.
They're all indoor cats so is it so terrible if I vaccinate the other 2 but not her? It so stressful on her (and me) that it doesn't seem worth it. Vet was no help and the tech advised me to bring her in so they could sedate her. ummmm... how?

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Some vaccines you can buy and give yourself. At least that's the case with dogs. I think many pets are over-vaccinated anyway and I don't vaccinate my pets yearly. Only thing is rabies which is probably required by law and has to be given by a vet. You will have to make sure she never bites some jerk who would turn it in.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember my Dad would give his dogs injections but I don't know if I could do it myself. Yea the rabies is the one I'm most worried about. The cat the bites is probably one who needs it the most. But this is the only time she's bitten anyone and I've had her for 2 years.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Put a towel over her head and try putting her in the carried quickly... Our one cat is squirmy and the second she sees that carrier she get get out of arms no matter what and she is FAST! The towel thing usually works for her...

·
Banned
841 Posts
My cats don't like going in their carrier at all either, and after getting scratched a few times, what I started doing was standing the carrier upright so that the door faces the ceiling, picking them up, holding their front legs together with scratching their head to soothe them, putting them in head/feet first, closing the door, and then rolling it over very gently. Since I've been doing that, it seems to work very well, now the hard part is chasing them when I have to take them to the vet as they're very good at sensing what's about to happen!

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
The only vaccination a strictly indoor cat (who is only exposed to other healthy indoor cats) really needs is distemper, I think. You can possibly carry that in on your clothes. I don't really see why she would need a rabies shot, unless you have an attic with bats in it or something. I think indoor cats - all cats really - are over-vaccinated if they go by the conventional vet schedule. Has she had any vaccines at all yet?

If you need to get her in a carrier I would lure her in with smelly wet food placed at the back of it. When she goes in to the back, shut the door. I would leave the carrier out all the time in the open position so she's used to it.

I really wouldn't do sedation to give vaccines to a healthy indoor cat. If you have a little extra money or you know how to do it yourself you can also have a vet or tech come to your house to do it.

Vaccines can have very serious side effects (do some research on the web to see this; I have seen a cat experience a very negative effect from a feline vaccine). I would only give them very sparingly to indoor cats, depending on the kind of exposures they have. Much medicine is cookie cutter medicine and doesn't really take the individual situation of the patient into account. Like, why would she need a feline leukemia shot - which I'm guessing they would give her - if she's not going outside and there's no possibility of being directly exposed to other cats who have it?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! I had them all vaccinated about 2 years ago for rabies, distemper and feline leukemia. I was a little annoyed today that I took in Mocha and they did not have the distemper vaccine and want me to bring her back again next week. For another $35 dollar office visit in addtion to the vaccine I'm sure! Seriously considering changing vets. They could have called and let me schedule for all of it next week.
I'll try the leaving out the carrier and maybe even feeding her in there once in a while. If I have to pick her up again I will have a towel on hand for sure.
Now the bite is swollen so I may end up at the doctor tomorrow. I used alcohol and neosporin. Hoping the swelling will go down overnight.
Latte is still under the bed since this whole incident almost 8 hours ago. She won't even come out for a can of her favorite food. Poor thing.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Did they get a series of vaccines or just single shots?

See - there was no reason I can think of to give the leukemia vaccine in your situation. Look up cats who have had serious side effects from that.

Even distemper would be rare to bring in. If you and others wash your hands after you touch other cats outside of the house before touching your cats, and use common sense with contamination, I'm not really even sure you need to do any more shots.

Of course I'm not a vet, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but that's what I think anyway. Do your research and talk to a holistic vet if you can find one in your area - they seem to not be so vaccine-crazy. If they've had more than one set of shots already, I think I'd probably skip them, maybe forever, if their situation stays the same. If they had a couple distempers already they may even be immune for life (you'd have to do a test for that).

If you do no more shots you'll need to be more careful - which you should be anyway - bringing new cats into the house and do a decent quarantine and FIV/leukemia test before introducing anyone.

There's a risk no matter what you do with these or any health procedures.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I agree an indoor cat isn't at much risk for rabies but if she bites someone and they want to throw a fit about it, it can cause problems. They can insist the cat be killed and tested for rabies. My indoor cat hasn't had a rabies vax. She is also be a biter and I make sure she is shut in one room if anyone I don't know well is coming over or if any kids will be around. She does not tolerate noise and chaos and will let her feelings be known.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
i put the carrier out the day before i go to the vet so the cats get used to it before it's time to go. i have the kind of carrier that has a door in the front and on top and each door works better or worse for the different cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbug26 View Post

Now the bite is swollen so I may end up at the doctor tomorrow. I used alcohol and neosporin. Hoping the swelling will go down overnight.
Latte is still under the bed since this whole incident almost 8 hours ago. She won't even come out for a can of her favorite food. Poor thing.
if you do go to the doctor you might want to leave out that it was your cat that injured you. depending on where you are they may be required to report animal bites but if you don't tell them which cat it was they can't make a report on her.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia82 View Post

My cats don't like going in their carrier at all either, and after getting scratched a few times, what I started doing was standing the carrier upright so that the door faces the ceiling, picking them up, holding their front legs together with scratching their head to soothe them, putting them in head/feet first, closing the door, and then rolling it over very gently. Since I've been doing that, it seems to work very well, now the hard part is chasing them when I have to take them to the vet as they're very good at sensing what's about to happen!
Are you holding them upside down? Mine would freak out at that! Funny the differences in cats.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

I agree an indoor cat isn't at much risk for rabies but if she bites someone and they want to throw a fit about it, it can cause problems. They can insist the cat be killed and tested for rabies. My indoor cat hasn't had a rabies vax. She is also be a biter and I make sure she is shut in one room if anyone I don't know well is coming over or if any kids will be around. She does not tolerate noise and chaos and will let her feelings be known.
Latte hides herself if anyone comes over so it's pretty easy to isolate her. I think I'm going to let it go for now. We're both too traumatized!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

i put the carrier out the day before i go to the vet so the cats get used to it before it's time to go. i have the kind of carrier that has a door in the front and on top and each door works better or worse for the different cats.

if you do go to the doctor you might want to leave out that it was your cat that injured you. depending on where you are they may be required to report animal bites but if you don't tell them which cat it was they can't make a report on her.
Wow, thanks I hadn't thought of that!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Did they get a series of vaccines or just single shots?

See - there was no reason I can think of to give the leukemia vaccine in your situation. Look up cats who have had serious side effects from that.

Even distemper would be rare to bring in. If you and others wash your hands after you touch other cats outside of the house before touching your cats, and use common sense with contamination, I'm not really even sure you need to do any more shots.

Of course I'm not a vet, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but that's what I think anyway. Do your research and talk to a holistic vet if you can find one in your area - they seem to not be so vaccine-crazy. If they've had more than one set of shots already, I think I'd probably skip them, maybe forever, if their situation stays the same. If they had a couple distempers already they may even be immune for life (you'd have to do a test for that).

If you do no more shots you'll need to be more careful - which you should be anyway - bringing new cats into the house and do a decent quarantine and FIV/leukemia test before introducing anyone.

There's a risk no matter what you do with these or any health procedures.
Thanks, I'm going with the informed choice of not taking her anywhere in the near future! I understand the risks and will talk to another vet soon to get another opinion. The advice I got today when I asked if there were any behavioral interventions I could do to help her calm down when I pick her up was "I dunno, all cats are different" Very helpful expert!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
You say she is fine with being pet by you... could you trick her in there with treats, a toy or start feeding her in there? If she sniffs around it, pet her and feed her a treat then throw one in the back but I would put something in the bottom so her paws will feel more stable and she won't freak out the second she tries to enter. Also try putting a blanket or a towel with a familiar smell over it to disguise this box of doom.

·
Registered
468 Posts
yea thats a tough one...lol

could try the towel like someone suggested, if you get it in the right spot she won't be able to bite you easily through the towel (use a thick towel), just wrap it around her quick. you'll want to use the biggest carrier you have so that its easy to get her in.

would be good to keep working w/ her and touching her belly and trying to condition her a bit to touching her more than just petting. another not quick fix, but can feed her in the carrier or just leave treats it in frequently throughout the day to try to get her to go in there on her own more often and condition her to that.

I'd agree that rabies is highly unlikely, but it is required by law and would be a good idea in a cat that will bite people when she's upset. There were about 10 cases of rabies in my state, minnesota, in cats alone last year, so it's definitely out there yet. Actually, if she's an indoor cat and she was previously vaccinated for distemper as a kitten, i'd worry about that one less. There's some lasting immunity and most of the viruses in that are usually only acquired by kittens.

The vet I work for vaccinates every 3 years for both of those, and honestly most of the staff including myself has pets overdue for distemper vaccines....lol. I don't know what that is about your vet reporting animal bites to the state, never heard of anything like that before...believe me every1 in this profession knows cats can be quite pissy, especially w/ her background.

·
Banned
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbug26 View Post

Are you holding them upside down? Mine would freak out at that! Funny the differences in cats.
Noooo, not at all, mine would freak out too! I just put them in their carrier head first, and then set them down gently.

Although the way I usually transport mine, since I have 2 and they seem to be happier during car rides if they're together, is using 1 large dog kennel for the 2 of them with a zip-up opening on the top. It fits in my passenger seat easily, and that way I they can snuggle while we're in the car.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumy View Post

yea thats a tough one...lol

could try the towel like someone suggested, if you get it in the right spot she won't be able to bite you easily through the towel (use a thick towel), just wrap it around her quick. you'll want to use the biggest carrier you have so that its easy to get her in.

would be good to keep working w/ her and touching her belly and trying to condition her a bit to touching her more than just petting. another not quick fix, but can feed her in the carrier or just leave treats it in frequently throughout the day to try to get her to go in there on her own more often and condition her to that.

I'd agree that rabies is highly unlikely, but it is required by law and would be a good idea in a cat that will bite people when she's upset. There were about 10 cases of rabies in my state, minnesota, in cats alone last year, so it's definitely out there yet. Actually, if she's an indoor cat and she was previously vaccinated for distemper as a kitten, i'd worry about that one less. There's some lasting immunity and most of the viruses in that are usually only acquired by kittens.

The vet I work for vaccinates every 3 years for both of those, and honestly most of the staff including myself has pets overdue for distemper vaccines....lol. I don't know what that is about your vet reporting animal bites to the state, never heard of anything like that before...believe me every1 in this profession knows cats can be quite pissy, especially w/ her background.
Thanks! We're going to wait a little while before we try the vet again. In the meantime I will leave out the carrier and try to feed her in it sometimes. Towels are going to be involved on the next outing for sure. Hopefully not to mop up my blook!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia82 View Post

Noooo, not at all, mine would freak out too! I just put them in their carrier head first, and then set them down gently.

Although the way I usually transport mine, since I have 2 and they seem to be happier during car rides if they're together, is using 1 large dog kennel for the 2 of them with a zip-up opening on the top. It fits in my passenger seat easily, and that way I they can snuggle while we're in the car.
That's a good idea, I might try putting Mocha in one first and then see if Latte goes in better that way since they're buddies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireToInspire View Post

You say she is fine with being pet by you... could you trick her in there with treats, a toy or start feeding her in there? If she sniffs around it, pet her and feed her a treat then throw one in the back but I would put something in the bottom so her paws will feel more stable and she won't freak out the second she tries to enter. Also try putting a blanket or a towel with a familiar smell over it to disguise this box of doom.
Thanks, I'm going to give all these a try!

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Jenbug, I hope the injury Latte gave you is healing well. I don't know what to do about a cat who's that wild.

I live in New York State, and personally I think it's ridiculous to give a strictly-indoors cat rabies vaccinations- but in my state this is required, I do have to bring them to the vet sometimes, and noncompliance with rabies vacs would be reported. (Mine have been strictly indoors, except on the rare occasions when I take them outside with me. If I did not have them vaccinated, I would not even take them outside at all). I don't give them feline leukemia any more- they don't need it- and they get the distemper combo once every 3 years.

Okay, in theory an animal such as a bat might get in from outside and infect my animal companion, but worrywart that I am, even I don't worry about this. As for biting someone, my cats have all been very sweet-tempered and would not bite someone unless they were grabbed by a stranger.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts