VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hurrah for TMI!

I finally started menstruating (lightly) again last fall, and thought all was well. But since November, nothing. If anything, I've gained a bit of weight; I'm within a healthy weight range and likely exercising a bit less than normal as my horse is on stall rest (so I'm limiting to catchriding, bleh). I don't get it.

Help?

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
What about your body fat percentage? Women don't menstruate below a certain bf%, so weight itself may not be the only factor.

Also it might take some time for your body to start functioning regularly and normally again.

Good luck,

pirate x

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much. You're pretty young still, and lots of gals don't get "regular" (whatever than means) until their 20s. The ED stuff may still be haunting you a bit, and it was the holidays, so maybe there was a bit of extra stress, etc.

Are you eating okay? Are there any other symptoms such as pain?

And of course, the "must-ask" question: Could you be pregnant?

·
Registered
53 Posts
it will prob take a time for it to be regular again cause if you're at a healthy weight now, there shouldn't be a prob, however as mentioned by pirate moon - you might still be low on body fat (sometimes when you gain its muscle), and too low body fat = low estrogen = amenorrhea. Remember to not over exercise since it'll just put you ´back on square 1

But it's good to hear that you've recovered much from ur ed
keep it up!!

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
in addition to what the others have said, soy consumption can negatively affect thyroid function, particularly if you're sensitive to it or already have thyroid problems (for example, due to EDs).

i would recommend learning about thyroid supportive diets (such as eating sea vegetables, getting enough EFAs and cholesterol in the diet) as well as thyroid supporting practices (such as yoga practices and cold water rinses to showers). this, of course, in addition to increasing body fat and finding the appropriate body composition.

also, it may be helpful to take cycle-supportive herbal teas. again, i recommend the book by susun weed called wise woman herbal for the child bearing year which offers a lot of great information about supporting fertility and healthy cycles and bodies throughout one's life and the changes therein (from menarche, through pregnancy, through menopause and beyond).

with this, i also recommend that you learn about FAM or fertility awareness charting. by charting, you not only learn your cycles to help avoid or achieve pregnancy (when you get to that time when you want to achieve pregnancy, if you ever do), but you'll also learn about your general body function, overall health and wellbeing, your ferility cycle, your thyroid function, and many other things.

good luck to you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts