VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to some of the ingredients called for in vegan and vegetarian cooking. Tomorrow I am going to try making a cheese sauce with nutritional yeast and Miso. When I went to the store I did not realize there was more then one kind of miso :/ I must have looked really lost because another shopper asked if I needed help. I told him I had know idea about miso and he said start with the red, it was more mild. When I got home I read the recipe more carfully and it calls for yellow
Doh!

What is the difference? Can i use the red in my mac&chez. Oh and there is white to?

I'm a bit lost

Av

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
The white is mildest in taste. Red I believe also has barley, it has a stronger flavor.
I've acquired a taste for miso soup, drinking a tablespoon dissolved in a cup of water often, esp. in winter months. I always buy the ones made in USA, and organic. I just can't read the ones in the Asian stores.
I don't think it would make much difference if you subbed.
You do have to watch for daishi- which is fish, in some misos, I quess it's commen in the instant miso soups.
I'm curious - have you had nutritional yeast before? That took me some time to get used to, and even now only use sparingly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh dear, I can't eat barley
I guess back to the store. What the heck am I going to do with the red stuff :/

I know I should know this but what is miso? I really am in new territory. I can tear it up in the kitchen with meat. Oh man just thinkin' on that now makes me a bit queasy! Moving on!!!

I have not tried nutritional yeast yet. I am good with chickpeas, lentils and beans now. Love love veggies in all shapes and colors. The only hiccup is whole wheat and various other whole grains. I would love to eat whole wheat bread, pasta and tortillas. They are so healthy but if I did they would kill me :/

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I think Miso is fermented soybean paste with other grains in it. I have not been able to find any without fish at my local Asian market, which stinks because, like you, I see it in recipes or even just get a craving for miso soup, and I can't make it at home.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your help.

The red miso paste I bought does not have barley, yay!, so i used it in the cheese sauce. I'm not sure how much I liked it though. It was a bit on the sweet side? Anyway. . .

Thanks

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avlynn View Post

Thanks everyone for your help.

The red miso paste I bought does not have barley, yay!, so i used it in the cheese sauce. I'm not sure how much I liked it though. It was a bit on the sweet side? Anyway. . .

Thanks
Maybe you just need more ingredients to tone down the sweetness. Maybe some garlic or a little mustard for tanginess? Just a thought...

·
Registered
471 Posts
You may want to adjust the amount of ingredients. I made some Mac and Cheese one day and it was really thick and sweet. I lowered the amount of Nutritional Yeast and Miso and it came out great. I would just adjust to taste.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will try that thanks
I don't seems to be craving mac&chez actually. The nutritional yeast intrigued me so. . . I love trying new things even though I produce dinner fails now and again. Now that I am eating a plant based diet I have MANY new ingredients to discover and try! (I am on day 15 with no meat or eggs)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts