VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while, I have been getting sea sale instead of the regular table salt. Everybody says it's better right? However, last time I went to Wild Oats, I noticed some mineral salt next to the sea salt. It has a pretty, pinkish tint to it, and is way more expensive. (like $8 a lb)

So I went home and googled a bit, and on one site they claimed that rock mineral salt is better than sea salt because they are taken from some deep underground deposit, so it is pollution free, unlike the sea salt coming from our very messy ocean.

I wonder if this is just a marketing ploy or is there some sense to it.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Table salt is bad and all the minerals have been taken out of it. It is toxic for your body.

Celtic Salt (or sea salt) is better because it hasn't been as processsed as it has minerals in it. (you can buy it in white and grey varieties). I think the white stuff has been more demineralized than the grey. But both can contain pollution from the water.

Than there is the "pink" salt which is know as Himalayan pink salt. It has tons of minerals in it and tastes awesome. The pink color is natural and all of the natural minerals have been retained.

No, it is not a marketing gimick. The pink salt has a higher mineral content and it has a better flavor (well, I think it does). A little goes a long way because it has such a pure salt taste too. So, the bag will last you a while.

I have both the Pink salt and a Light grey Celtic Salt and I prefer the Pink salt. It has much more flavor.

here are some articles:

http://www.jigsawhealth.com/products...ayan_salt.html

http://www.awakening-healing.com/Hea...ions_by_ch.htm

·
Registered
898 Posts
I don't know what hfs is but you will more than likely find it at any health food type store or co-op. You will probably not find it any large supermarket type of place.

You can always get it online too!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

I don't know what hfs is but you will more than likely find it at any health food type store or co-op. You will probably not find it any large supermarket type of place.

You can always get it online too!
lol this made me laugh haha. i think hfs is health food store

·
Registered
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_fabiani View Post

lol this made me laugh haha. i think hfs is health food store
yeah, I guess it didn't look at it that way - hfs = Health Food Store.

dumb dumb me!

I thought the HFS was the name of a grocery store in UK because I see alot of UK VBers mention it all the time on here so I thought it was a UK thing. I never noticed if any Americans used that abbreviation. I never do. Oh well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts