VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been a long-time supporter of APOPO HeroRATS, an organization that trains local populations of Gambian Pouched rats in Africa to detect landmines and tuberculosis. Webpage is here: http://www.apopo.org/home.php I see this as a sustainable, local solution to a major problem, and it's had tremendous success.

The rats are not tested on, but they are also being used for human purposes (although one could argue that landmines must certainly injure and kill animals as well and these rats are saving non-human lives, too). I do believe it's ethical to continue supporting this org., but as it is not 'vegan' in the strictest sense, should I still do it?? I believe in animal rights and liberation, but I don't want to stop supporting such an awesome organization because of esoteric concepts either.

Advice???

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I dont think its necessarily un-vegan to support such a cause. However, it would clash with a lot of vegan's morals - its still exploitation of animals even if they are doing a good thing. I guess its similar to guide dogs really - using animals for human welfare rather than entertainment. I personally feel uneasy about it and wouldn't donate, but won't take your vegan badge away from you haha.

ps. Those rats are very cute

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They ArE cute.
For what it's worth, I know that a lot of the locals used to see these rats as pests & tried to kill them as people do wild rats in general... this program has transformed the way some communities view rats. I do understand that no justification will outweigh the fact that they are being used for human welfare, though.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racqoon View Post

I do understand that no justification will outweigh the fact that they are being used for human welfare, though.
Is that so. I say they should develop robotics technologies to deal with the mines. I'm against it, but it's up to you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
... robotic tech would be awesome (in theory)... but it should be pretty obvious that african nations still riddled with land mines usually don't have extra $ lying around for a robotic program. i respect that others disagree with this and i appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racqoon View Post

but it should be pretty obvious that african nations still riddled with land mines usually don't have extra $ lying around for a robotic program.
It's not just the $ - it's the lack of infrastructure to support high tech solutions - limited electrical grid to charge from, difficulty in obtaining spare parts/getting them out into the field, lack of locals with the expertise to repair/operate high tech devices. A robotic solution work great while the westerners & their money are there establishing the program, but odds on it'll all fall apart once they go.

Personally I think the rats are (from what I've just read) a great idea. Anyone who opposes it - go walk through a minefield and get back to me

1 - 6 of 6 Posts