VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Up to four million migrating birds will be killed by illegal Spanish hunters this year, with many dying a slow, sticky death in traps that literally glue the animals to the ground, according to campaigners.

Thrushes flying south for a warm Mediterranean winter this week will, as usual, run a gauntlet of illegal hunters who kill some two million birds in their peak hunting season: the six late autumn weeks in which Spanish skies fill with migrating birds.

Hundreds, if not thousands, of hunters in Castellón, eastern Spain, and neighbouring areas will have already set their so-called parany traps copses filled with glue-covered twigs and spikes.

Most of the illegally trapped birds will end up as tapas in Spanish bars, fried tidbits that locals claim are part of a cultural heritage stretching back to Roman times. "There are pictures of parany traps in the mosaics of Pompeii," said Miguel Angel Bayarri of the trappers' Apaval association. "This is a tradition that has existed for centuries and that we will continue to fight for."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...killed-hunters

·
Registered
0 Posts
Every time I hear about anything Spanish, I am shocked at the brutality. Bull fighting, farra de boi, toro de jubilo, and now this! It's amazing that Catalonia ended bull fighting considering that it seems like that country just enjoys so much, abusing animals. "It's our culture!!!" Yecch!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselsmom View Post

Every time I hear about anything Spanish, I am shocked at the brutality. Bull fighting, farra de boi, toro de jubilo, and now this! It's amazing that Catalonia ended bull fighting considering that it seems like that country just enjoys so much, abusing animals. "It's our culture!!!" Yecch!
Igualdad Animal is doing a lot of amazing work to educate people in Spain about animal rights and veganism. Things are changing there. Under Franco's rule vegetarianism was strongly discouraged, as he associated it with the left, and it wasn't until his regime was over that veg*n restaurants were allowed to open again. Interestingly enough, Igualdad Animal to me is the best and most passionate above ground group I've seen. I absolutely adore them and everything they do. They've taken a true stance, they don't waiver, they are very clear that their mission is to end speciesism, etc. I've got a lot of friends on FB from Spain and there is so much brutality that happens over there every day but I do see the changes happening too.

I absolutely hate the "it's our culture" excuse. Times change, people change, traditions change. It is time to stop hiding behind that excuse and start making the right changes. My family tries to use this excuse all the time and it is definitely something that gets under my skin big time.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Quote:

Damn you, Cortez!

Seriously, though. Can you possibly be any broader in your stereotypes? What else are "they" like?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

Damn you, Cortez!

Seriously, though. Can you possibly be any broader in your stereotypes? What else are "they" like?
Have you ever looked up any of these acceptable 'cultural' extravaganzas? They are animal torturing that is state backed. At least in our countries we make a half hearted pretense at being compassionate! Where they PROUDLY proclaim that these abuses are "their culture and how dare anyone try to stop them"and you want to get all in my face about my statements! Can you possibly be any more PC than that?

I'm glad that there is an Animal Rights group over there that is trying to change things and I wish them well, but their presence doesn't change the fact that that country openly abuses and tortures animals for entertainment. And by the way, 'that country' is made up of Spanish people who defend their actions and try to make us all look like the insane ones.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Crap. Now I'm going to have to tell my Spanish friends what they are really like. It will be particularly difficult with the vegan one.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:

Crap. Now I'm going to have to tell my Spanish friends what they are really like. It will be particularly difficult with the vegan one.
Go for it, pick a fight, then tell your friends how wonderfully politically correct you are and you will all feels so wonderful about yourselves. And that doesn't change the fact that that country encourages and enshrines animal abuse. Remind your Spanish vegan friend about that when he's getting ready to pat you on the back.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Quote:

Go for it, pick a fight, then tell your friends how wonderfully politically correct you are and you will all feels so wonderful about yourselves. And that doesn't change the fact that that country encourages and enshrines animal abuse. Remind your Spanish vegan friend about that when he's getting ready to pat you on the back.
I have no idea what you're trying to get across here.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Quote:

Have you ever looked up any of these acceptable 'cultural' extravaganzas? They are animal torturing that is state backed. At least in our countries we make a half hearted pretense at being compassionate! Where they PROUDLY proclaim that these abuses are "their culture and how dare anyone try to stop them"and you want to get all in my face about my statements! Can you possibly be any more PC than that?

I'm glad that there is an Animal Rights group over there that is trying to change things and I wish them well, but their presence doesn't change the fact that that country openly abuses and tortures animals for entertainment. And by the way, 'that country' is made up of Spanish people who defend their actions and try to make us all look like the insane ones.
Their presence shows that things are changing in that country. The fact that bullfighting was banned in Catalonia is a good example of the fact that things are changing.

I doubt Canada has any stones to throw when it comes to animal cruelty. Calgary stampede comes to mind. Don't some Canadians defend sealing as a cultural tradition? And isn't the seal hunt state backed?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeria View Post

Their presence shows that things are changing in that country. The fact that bullfighting was banned in Catalonia is a good example of the fact that things are changing.

I doubt Canada has any stones to throw when it comes to animal cruelty. Calgary stampede comes to mind. Don't some Canadians defend sealing as a cultural tradition? And isn't the seal hunt state backed?
You are absolutely right about animal cruelty in Canada. I hate it, hate it, hate it and I'm totally embarrassed and disgusted with the situation. There are differences in the circumstances and that is the only thing that gives me any relief from that disgust. The Calgary Stampede doesn't advertise that their entertainment is achieved through intentional cruelty which bull fighting and the others do. The seal hunt is based on economic considerations rather than, 'let's go watch some a****** in too tight pants go and torture an already weakened and disoriented animal whose sole purpose in life is to become a pin cushion for a bunch of barbarians. What you have in Spain is a culture/society of 'Michael Vick wannabees' and yet I get grief because I'm angry and from a couple of people who are on here because they apparently share the same philosophy about animal (ab)use that I do???? Given that, maybe people here should be a little more generous when discussing Vick's 'change of heart'!

I realize the end result is the same, but at the same time, intention counts. And the intention in Spain is to be titillated by animal abuse. If I did the same thing here to one of my horses, the SPCA would be at my door in a heartbeat.

A couple years ago, on veggie boards, I was getting into it with someone here about China's state indifference to animal abuse. But at this point I'm starting to pull back on my anger because more and more we are seeing a new awareness developing in that country, with the government even beginning to get on board with the need for some sort of laws regarding animals. When the Spanish government comes out with a statement that these atrocities are horrendous and should be stopped, then my feelings and remarks will change. But as it stands, the government stands behind what the majority in that country want which is 'their culture at the expense of walking, living, suffering creatures'!

And yes, I am aware that there are people in Spain who are against what goes on there and kudos to them. I will support what they do with every breathe in my body, but I won't ignore what their government promotes as a tourist and cultural experience. Get real.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:

I have no idea what you're trying to get across here.
So you can try and get in my face about my feelings on this issue, try and force me to feel so embarrassed because I stereotyped 'the whole country of Spain' and yet when I don't back down you all of a sudden 'don't understand' and you're so nonplussed! Puleeeeze!

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Quote:

So you can try and get in my face about my feelings on this issue, try and force me to feel so embarrassed because I stereotyped 'the whole country of Spain' and yet when I don't back down you all of a sudden 'don't understand' and you're so nonplussed! Puleeeeze!
No, my point was that I don't find that last post intelligible.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:

No, my point was that I don't find that last post intelligible.
I just reread it, and it must be a case of you aren't listening all the way through. I was exactly clear on what I think about being politically correct when it comes to state supported animal cruelty and the citizens that engage in it.

Added later:
But you know, I just re-read all my posts and yours, and there is a possibility that your initial comments were made in jest and that I misunderstood that. If that is the case I apologize, not for my feelings or the strength of those feelings but for misunderstanding and then running with that particular ball. It is just that I tend to not be a 'mirthful' type person at the best of times and when it comes to the issue of animal abuse, that rating sinks to zero humor. So once again, if that was your intent, then I apologize.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Horrifying and heartbreaking. I can't get the mental image of these innocent creatures suffering in this way just to please someone's palate. So very sad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.