VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to find something to replace cows milk in my diet. I currently go through about 2L milk per week using it mainly in hot drinks. I have tried soy milk and didn't like it. What other non-dairy milks are out there and which ones are best for drinking in things like coffee and hot chocolate? Also, did the flavours of some of these milks grow on you or did you like them straight away?

·
Registered
236 Posts
there's all kinds of non-dairy milks almond, rice, hemp, coconut..
as for them growing on you, i couldn't tell you i liked soy more than cow's milk before i went vegan.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Unsweetened Almond Milk is standard in our house. My omni husband uses it and likes it. I use it because it's got loads of calcium, and NO SUGAR. I'll get my sugar through junk food, thank you very much. Hazelnut milk is fantastic in hot cocoa. It's like drinking molton Nutella. I used Rice Milk when I first dropped cow's. It's fairly neutral tasting but really super sweet.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undaria View Post

I am wanting to find something to replace cows milk in my diet. I currently go through about 2L milk per week using it mainly in hot drinks. I have tried soy milk and didn't like it. What other non-dairy milks are out there and which ones are best for drinking in things like coffee and hot chocolate? Also, did the flavours of some of these milks grow on you or did you like them straight away?
I am a huge fan of unsweentened, vanilla almond milk
I stopped drinking milk years before I stopped eating meat so I am used to it. It does not taste exactly like milk, but it's delicious.

·
Banned
437 Posts
Almond milk is a staple in my kitchen. The unsweetened is best for cooking and great for drinking, but for a treat sometimes I get the chocolate or vanilla (just for drinking). Even the dairy-lovers in my life love it. My boyfriend LOVES cow milk, but drinks a big glass of almond milk from my fridge at least a few times a week. My parents don't buy it for themselves, but whenever i buy it, they drink it. I loved it from the get-go. It's a different taste, but a much nicer one for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went to the supermarket and had a look at their selection. They had rice, soy, and oat milk available so I got the rice milk. I got the one fortified with vitamins rather than protein as I'm sure I get more than enough protein in my diet. I am very keen to try almond milk so hopefully I can track it down. I'm moving house next year and will have a much bigger supermarket as my closest one. I will let you know how I go with the rice milk soon.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think it can take a bit of time to get used to the slightly different flavor and texture. It's sort of like meeting someone who reminds you of someone else and you keep getting weirded out because they don't act like the other person. So I'd give it a little time. You could also try a couple different brands since not all soy (or almond, etc) milks taste the same. I don't put anything in my coffee but I was under the impression that soy and almond milk aren't really at their best in coffee, so if all else fails you might look for a soy creamer made specifically for that purpose. (Btw, having gotten used to various nondairy milks I tend to think almond milk leaves cow's milk, and everything else, in the dust. The only problem is it's so good I have trouble stopping myself from drinking it all right away.
)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessus View Post

I don't put anything in my coffee but I was under the impression that soy and almond milk aren't really at their best in coffee, so if all else fails you might look for a soy creamer made specifically for that purpose.
I just tried the rice milk by itself and prefer it to soy. I will have to try it in coffee next. As for creamers, I live in New Zealand and have never seen them here. I haven't actually looked for them so it may just be that. I will keep an eye out. Thank you for the advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.