VeggieBoards banner

Milk isn't the only way to prevent Osteoperosis?!

807 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  cyanocobalamin 
#1 ·
This article made me happy, I'm sick of people assuming milk cures everything bone related. It does say milk makes bones strong, but goes on to list other ways to get calcium and keep bones strong.
I'm surprised about the tea, I drink plenty of that

http://www.aolhealth.com/condition-c...s?ncid=webmail

#2 ·
Thought I read somewhere that the countries with the highest milk consumption also have higher rates of osteoporosis. Glad the article lists a couple other calcium sources and also mentions exercise though. Beans, greens and fortified foods for me.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post

Thought I read somewhere that the countries with the highest milk consumption also have higher rates of osteoporosis. Glad the article lists a couple other calcium sources and also mentions exercise though. Beans, greens and fortified foods for me.
Yep. The China Study discusses this phenomenon in depth.

#5 ·
Great shout out to almonds there!

My Mom smokes, drinks tons of pop, eats a high protein meat and dairy centered diet and has a family history of osteoporosis. She's gonna end up 6 inches tall eventually.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenKat View Post

This article made me happy, I'm sick of people assuming milk cures everything bone related. It does say milk makes bones strong, but goes on to list other ways to get calcium and keep bones strong.
I'm surprised about the tea, I drink plenty of that

http://www.aolhealth.com/condition-c...s?ncid=webmail
Some of the information in this article ( which promotes eating sardines ) is misleading or just plain bad.

For instance, the article recommends spinach, but spinach is a poor source of calcium. Spinach has the calcium, but due to a high oxalic acid content almost none of it will be absorbed by a human eating it.

It also lists butternut squash as a great source of calcium. Well, 1 cup of cooked butternut squash has 82 mgs of calcium. The DV for most people is about 1000 mg.

The best vegan sources of calcium ( has lots of calcium, the calcium is absorbed ) that are easily available to Americans are:

turnip greens,
mustard greens,
bok choy,
kale
white beans
broccoli
tofu made with calcium coagulant salts

Note: swiss chard has the same problem as spinach.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.