VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to cut down on the amount of soya I use so I changed to rice milk. The problem is when I make a cup of tea (don't drink coffee, never have) the rice curdles, this did not happen with soya milk, so then I bought some Oatly (new oat milk) the same thing happens.
Does anyone else have this problem and have you found a solution?
I just want a decent cuppa.

Nan

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

It's a pain in the ass, but if you heat the milk slowly (like in a saucepan) it doesn't curdle.
This, or if this is a bit of a bother to be doing every time (if like me you drink far too much tea!), put the milk into the cup first, with the tea bag, and never put boiling water in, let it cool for a while/don't let it get up to boiling point. I find that helps the curdling.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I don;t know! Soya milk does this too, in coffee more than tea. I just drink it anyway....

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I read once that alpro soya is the only UK brand that doesn't curdle, I don't know if it's the ONLY one, but they use it in coffee shops and it doesn't curdle then. (I know this doesn't help the OP but maybe other people with soya milk problems).

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

I read once that alpro soya is the only UK brand that doesn't curdle, I don't know if it's the ONLY one, but they use it in coffee shops and it doesn't curdle then. (I know this doesn't help the OP but maybe other people with soya milk problems).
It helps me! I'm gonna try it out, thanks

Tetley also make a teabag specifically designed for use with soy milk...

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rags. View Post

I don;t know! Soya milk does this too, in coffee more than tea. I just drink it anyway....
I've definitely had this problem too. I think a teabag absorbs more of the heat, plus coffee is more chemically abrasive?

And I don't know about Alpro being the only brand that doesn't curdle, I don't see why that would be if it's all the same stuff :/ Starbucks in my uni uses Tesco Soya, and it works fine...

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
What kind of tea are you making? I have this one herbal tea which made my soymilk get clumpy and gross. I've never had a problem with soymilk in various black teas, rooibos, or honeybush, though. I've never tried rice milk in tea.

You aren't adding lemon to the tea too, are you? The will definitely make your milk curdle.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've never had soya milk curdling in tea either and I've used loads of brands... oat milk didn't curdle either...

For coffee, I think a lot of time the milk-to-water ratio can make a big difference. I think that the soya at starbucks and costa maybe doesn't curdle because they use a lot of soya milk? It will depend on the drink, I only drink lattes which I think are heated frothed soya milk with a shot of coffee, not much water at all.

Making coffee at home, the less soya milk I use, the more it curdles. So I use a lot as I like a milky coffee anyway, and it's fine.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_charm View Post

I've never had soya milk curdling in tea either and I've used loads of brands... oat milk didn't curdle either...

For coffee, I think a lot of time the milk-to-water ratio can make a big difference. I think that the soya at starbucks and costa maybe doesn't curdle because they use a lot of soya milk? It will depend on the drink, I only drink lattes which I think are heated frothed soya milk with a shot of coffee, not much water at all.

Making coffee at home, the less soya milk I use, the more it curdles. So I use a lot as I like a milky coffee anyway, and it's fine.
I like Americano coffee, but tbh I think I'm going to try and cut out caffeine. I already have in the mornings, and it feels so much better (I just drink a cold glass of water instead of tea), but I think if I can kick caffeine entirely I can get a more regular sleep pattern.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I always leave the kettle for five minutes after it's boiled, *then* pour it into the cup and add the milk, tea bag etc. Works a treat for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

It helps me! I'm gonna try it out, thanks

Tetley also make a teabag specifically designed for use with soy milk...
Well I don't know about the Tetley tea bag as I use Tetley decaff. I did use Alpro soya milk, the unsweetened one, (milk should not be sweet unless it's banana flavoured) which never curdled at all.
I tried heating the rice milk before adding the teabag and water, it still curdled, but I didn't mind that as it really wasn't nice and was so watery that my tea was almost black.
Then i tried the heating the Oatly milk (30 seconds in the microwave). BINGO, this worked like a dream. I love my tea again.
Thanks for all the replys guys

·
Registered
469 Posts
I tend to use almond milk because soy milk definitely curdles. I haven't tried putting rice milk in my coffee, but I just bought some on the weekend, so I'll try and see how it turns out.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polynana View Post

Well I don't know about the Tetley tea bag as I use Tetley decaff.
How can you drink this? I just had a cup because of what I said above about drinking decaff, but yuck, yuck, yuck! It reminded me too much of the redbush stuff which I'm also not a fan of... :/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I drink decaff tea because I would not be able to sleep if I had caffeinated tea, I don't cope well with caffeine, I dislike redbush too.
Mungbean, I always shake my milk lots before I use it, always have.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts