VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so, I can get as much Alpro and So Good as I can handle. For the most part, it's very tasty. The chocolate So Good is excellent. As are the Alpro strawberry and chocolate.

I can also get Rice Milk, too. It's ok, but is rubbish in hot drinks. Coconut milk I can take or leave.

What I am after now is almond milk. Where can I get this? I've tried looking around and people look at me with vacant expressions, like I've just asked them for powdered unicorn horn or something.

Anyone know where I can buy some? I'd really like to try it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've seen it in Holland and Barrett and Waitrose, VERY expensive both times like £3-£4! It was cheaper and more easy to find in France and the USA have a much better almond milk range at good prices. Unfortunately to affordably use almond milk as an alternative in the UK I think you'd need to make your own. I've never done this before but I'm sure someone here will happily tell you how

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_charm View Post

I've seen it in Holland and Barrett and Waitrose, VERY expensive both times like £3-£4! It was cheaper and more easy to find in France and the USA have a much better almond milk range at good prices. Unfortunately to affordably use almond milk as an alternative in the UK I think you'd need to make your own. I've never done this before but I'm sure someone here will happily tell you how
<<insert range of various swear words>>

I guess I'll be sticking to Alpro for now then!

**grumbles**

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you tried making raw almond milk? Lots of raw foodies make there own. I think you just blend soaked almonds, sweetner such as agave nectar or dates and water then sieve. Have a look on raw recipe sites as there are lots of recipes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyWould View Post

Have you tried making raw almond milk? Lots of raw foodies make there own. I think you just blend soaked almonds, sweetner such as agave nectar or dates and water then sieve. Have a look on raw recipe sites as there are lots of recipes.
I shall certainly look into how I can do this. I just want to try the stuff!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
They used to sell it at my local HFS for the same price as rice milk (like £1 something) but that's probally no good to you! In my experience supermarkets put their milk alternatives in different places, either with the fresh milk, with the "free from" section, or with the long-life/powdered milk. So you could make sure you're checking all three, incase they've put it somewhere different. (My local sainsburys sells 2 different rice milks, in 2 different sections, how confusing!).

Otherwise the only advice I can give really is maybe look online to see what supermarkets sell it, and find one locally (but it wont nessersairly have it if it's a small store or something) or look in health food shops - but often they're very expensive especially if they're independant.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

They used to sell it at my local HFS for the same price as rice milk (like £1 something) but that's probally no good to you! In my experience supermarkets put their milk alternatives in different places, either with the fresh milk, with the "free from" section, or with the long-life/powdered milk. So you could make sure you're checking all three, incase they've put it somewhere different. (My local sainsburys sells 2 different rice milks, in 2 different sections, how confusing!).

Otherwise the only advice I can give really is maybe look online to see what supermarkets sell it, and find one locally (but it wont nessersairly have it if it's a small store or something) or look in health food shops - but often they're very expensive especially if they're independant.
Yup - that's EXACTLY what Asda do. The Alpro flavoured drinks are in the "free from" aisle, plus the rice milk. The chocolate soy and other soy milks are near the back, near the cereals and milkshakes and the So Good and Alpro milks are with the regular milks, including goats and suchlike. It's a ballache having to go all over the place, but I've had no sign of the almond stuff.

Like you say, I think some online shopping is on the cards.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Try mixing up some ground almonds with water; that's how almond milk is made for bubble tea. You can grind the almonds yourself in a blender, or buy them pre-ground from tesco. You can make any other kid of nuts milks the same way; I've used cashew nut milk for a few things.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
yeah i want to try almond milk, saw it today in h&b for £3.49!! so i grabbed some oat milk for a change.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought some from H & B when it was on a "buy one get one half price" offer which brought the price down a bit - but it is still far too expensive for everyday use for me . Shame.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubnutter View Post

I shall certainly look into how I can do this. I just want to try the stuff!
I make my own almond milk, a good tip is to strain it through nylons, the top of the nylons fit snugly onto the top of a pitcher, so when you strain it you can squeeze and 'milk' the almonds a bit more. Makes disposal easier as well. I recommend adding a bit of agave nectar to it, as well as a bit of vanilla.
Cashew milk is also good, but higher-calorie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts