VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As usual, video on autoplay if you click the link: http://www.mcdonaldscruelty.com/

From the email sent out:

Quote:
A new Mercy For Animals undercover investigation , which just broke on Good Morning America , and will be featured this evening on ABC World News Tonight with Diane Sawyer and then profiled on 20/20, gives a never before seen look inside a McDonald's egg supplier - exposing the fast-food giant's secret ingredient: shocking cruelty to animals.

Hidden-camera footage, taken at Sparboe Egg Farm facilities in Iowa, Minnesota and Colorado, reveals:
  • Hens crammed into filthy wire cages with less space for each bird than a standard-sized sheet of paper to live her entire miserable life, unable to fully stretch her wings or engage in most other natural behaviors
  • Workers burning off the beaks of young chicks without any painkillers and callously throwing them into cages, some missing the cage doors and hitting the floor
  • Rotted hens, decomposed beyond recognition as birds, left in cages with hens still laying eggs for human consumption
  • A worker tormenting a bird by swinging her around in the air while her legs were caught in a grabbing device - violence described as "torture" by another worker
  • Chicks trapped and mangled in cage wire - others suffering from open wounds and torn beaks
  • Live chicks thrown into plastic bags to be suffocated
Veterinarians and animal welfare experts confirm what common sense already tells us: Egg-laying hens, like all animals, should be given the freedom to walk, stretch their limbs, turn around and engage in natural behaviors. Yet, this McDonald's supplier deprives hens of even these most basic freedoms.

Barren battery cages are so cruel that the entire European Union and the states of California and Michigan have banned their use. Additionally, leading food retailers, such as Whole Foods, Hellmann's, Wolfgang Puck and Subway, and hundreds of colleges and universities refuse to use or sell eggs from hens subjected to the inherent abuses of battery cages.

MFA is calling on McDonald's Corporation to end its use of eggs from hens confined in battery cages in the United States, as it has already in the European Union.

Sadly, not a single federal law currently provides any protection to birds at the hatchery, on the factory farm, or during slaughter. Further, most states - including those in which this investigation was conducted - have sweeping exemptions for farmed animals, which allow abuses to run rampant without prosecution.

As the largest egg purchaser in the United States, McDonald's has enormous power in effecting improved standards of care for egg-laying hens. Click here to sign MFA's petition urging the fast-food chain to uncage hens.

While McDonald's has the moral obligation and purchasing power to lessen the cruelty suffered by the millions of hens who are abused and exploited to produce eggs for its restaurants, consumers also hold enormous power of their own in preventing animal abuse by adopting a compassionate vegan diet .

Click here to make a tax-deductible donation in support of MFA's vital work on behalf of abused and neglected farmed animals.

·
Registered
236 Posts
i saw the video this morning on facebook. so sad.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Gross. At this point I don't know why they pretend to be shocked

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I saw this going around fb and people were all shocked and horrified - I mentioned to some of them that this is actually common practice among egg farmers.

It is good that it went so public. Hopefully it can invoke thought for change.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I am concerned that the way this is being portrayed gives the impression that this was just a problem with one company, as opposed to being the industry standard. Hence, no reason for concern, and no reason for people to change their diet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post

I am concerned that the way this is being portrayed gives the impression that this was just a problem with one company, as opposed to being the industry standard. Hence, no reason for concern, and no reason for people to change their diet.
I agree. You can't have over 30,000 McDonalds restaurants serving eggs, meat and dairy products to over 46 million people per day, and expect that the animals will be treated better at another facility. I think a lot of the problem lies with the consumer and the demands placed on these industries. I'm glad this has received widespread media attention, but some of the articles I've read fail to mention that a lot of the abuse witnessed at Sparboe farms is considered standard practice within the commercial egg industry.

·
Registered
585 Posts
^--Yep. I had the same thought when I saw the news coverage.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Jesus I'm so fed up of seeing things like this... I can't understand how these people do not have morals or compassion?

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonanimal View Post

You can't have over 30,000 McDonalds restaurants serving eggs, meat and dairy products to over 46 million people per day, and expect that the animals will be treated better at another facility.
+1

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMetal87 View Post

Jesus I'm so fed up of seeing things like this... I can't understand how these people do not have morals or compassion?
Instead of focusing on changing the minds or hearts of the people who actually perpetuate these abuses, it may be prudent and wise for us to remember the vast majority of the public who buys and consumes these products are either partially or fully ignorant of what goes into them, which is why reaching out and sharing materials like this is so vital.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post

Yep, I know a couple of people who will no doubt just shrug this off because it was "just one company." People want so badly to believe that this level of abuse is rare and quickly handled when found that they're reluctant to look any closer.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I think that Mercy for Animals is actually perpetuating this myth. The message they promote in these campaigns is one of how businesses should stop using the facility in question as their supplier, or how the individual caught abusing the animals needs to go to jail. And when Mercy for Animals gets exactly what they are asking for, this allows the public to rest assured that the system is working well, and that animal abuse is rare.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts