VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to post this but I don't know who else to ask...

When I was a teenager (32 now) I had extremely painful heavy periods, passing out from the pain ect. After having my first child things kinda settled down to something I could live with and it passed after the second day. I have been ovo-lacto for about 5/6 weeks now. The first period was no different but I've just had my second one as a veggie and boy, it hurt. For the first time ever I had to take time off work and I passed out (whilst sitting down) from the pain. My Mum has been asking me how veggism has affected my body and the only way I could describe it is to say that my body (digestivly speaking) feels like it did when I was a kid but I never expected it to go this far!! I don't take pills of any sort, including vitamins, if I can help it, so is there anything I can do, apart from popping pills to prevent the pain next time? Has anyone else experienced this? I don't think I can cope if this is the way things are going to be. Any suggestions will be considered (even silly ones!!)

Thanks

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I'm no doctor, but, I used to get awful cramps for years. I found that one way to soothe them was to make sure I ate a lot. The body needs extra fuel during that special week. Maybe your veggie diet has meant you've been eating a bit less?

Of course, there's probably some more intelligent answer about specific nutrients.. Anyone?

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
My gf goes to bed with a warm x on her tummy.

x stands for rubber flask with hot water in it. Don't know the name.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I think it may be a coincidence that you started experiencing the pain again after being vegetarian. I'd get checked out by the doctor. That kind of pain isn't normal. I don't think you should have to live like that. One other thought: try reducing caffeine, salt and simple sugars right before your period. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AuroraLily

That kind of pain isn't normal. I don't think you should have to live like that.
Maybe it gets worse from mental stress ?

About normal pain: some times my gf folds double from pain....

If it is worse she lies in bed almost all day..she can walk around, but some times the flare of pain makes her knees go weak...

And she doesn't want to use a painkiller because it is tested on animals, or contains animal products....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there's a great menstrual problems quiz here.

http://my.webmd.com/medical_informat...s/default.htm#

There's also a disease called Endometriosis that is more common than most realize that can be attributable to that type of painful mentruation. I had severe pain to the point of passing out and throwing up all of my life. Without getting into the long drawn out details, I went untreated far too long. I ended up having to have a full hysterectomy 2 years ago. I'm certainly not saying that's what you have, but it's worth discussing with your doctor. Here's more info:

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/...tselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

Feel free to PM me if you have a personal question you don't want to add to the board..I've been through it all on this end of the spectrum and may be able help.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to have horrible pain during menstruation when I was going through puberty. Luckily it subsided after a few years.

However, when I quit smoking, started running & went veg I noticed that for the first few months, my periods were majorly off. It was a big adjustment for my body.

It could be a matter of your body adjusting. Also, if you've added a lot of soy to your diet--that can throw off your menstrual cycle as well. Not to mention detoxing (menstrual blood is a sort of detox). And stress.

In other words, there can be a whole lotta factors of why your body is doing this. I would take note of the next few cycles. If it hasn't improved by the 2nd or 3rd cycle--see an OB/GYN. Perhaps you could have developed cysts (very common).

Are you on any oral contraceptives--they can have a huge impact as well. In fact, they usually can reduce these problems.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
When I was in high school I wasn't veggie, but I didn't eat much. I also would pass out from the pain. When I started eating more, the pain starting becoming less severe. I would pay attention to what you eat and see if you are consuming enough.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Desty,

There have already been some good suggestions here. My doctor thinks I have endometriosis, though I haven't had the laparoscopy done to diagnose it - frankly, it doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Anyway, I've made quite a few changes. . . here's what's worked for me - every body is different, but you might get some ideas:

- eat smaller meals that are easier to digest, and eat them often. maintaining enough energy and a constant blood sugar level is good, but trying to eat big meals is too much for me to handle.

- get extra rest. extra sleep, if possible.

- stay hydrated.

- listen to your cravings. I usually don't drink more than a glass of juice a day, but my body craves it during my periods. I think I need it more then!

- consider trying cloth pads instead of disposables or tampons. try www.lunapads.com or www.gladrags.com to learn more/buy.

- exercise moderately for the whole month, mildly (as your body permits) during your period.

- take the extra time to take care of yourself.

Sometimes oral contraceptives help, sometimes they don't. I was prescribed "continous contraceptive therapy" and it totally threw my body out of whack. It also dramatically increased the growth of cysts in my breasts. My best friend, on the other hand, handles her menstrual problems quite well by taking a low-dose contraceptive. Talk to your doctor about different methods, and be patient.

An ultrasound to check for cysts might also be good. Sometimes they do them externally, others vaginally. . . If your insurance will cover it, it's a good thing to have done to at least rule out a more serious problem.

I hope you feel better. If you want to PM me, please feel free.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I have endometriosis, and all the symptoms you describe are exactly the ones that I've had for so long. Major pain, passing out, throwing up. All there. It was discovered when I had my tubal and the dr said that it was a pretty bad case I had. I was in misery city and starting to lose jobs because bosses hate it when you call off 1-3 days every month. I was sure that there was nothing I could do and I had to live with it. That is, until a friend at work told me about Catnip. Yep. You heard right. Catnip.

Catnip makes cats "stoned-acting", but for humans, it works differently. It's an herb that's good for the stomach and it calms the system down. I don't know how exactly it works, but somehow, it calms things down and relaxes a person without that "groggy-druggie" feeling that you get from other relaxers.

If you get some, don't get the stuff that's for cats - it's not fit for human consumption, get the stuff for humans. I get mine at the HFS and the brand that I use is Nature's Way (green lable). It takes about a month to see anything happen, but when it does - WOW! Major relief!

I've been taking this stuff for years and not only do I not have problems anymore, I don't even get cramps! Not even a twinge. I no longer pass out, puke, or double over in pain. AND I no longer PMS anymore (I used to PMS bad....real bad.).

I don't know if it will work for you, but it sure worked for me and I love this stuff!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all SO much. I feel a lot better. I live in a house full of males so a little female understanding is very welcome. I am not using contraceptives as I have been sterilised and I don't eat soy at all. I think I will give it a couple of months and see if it settles down and go to the doc's if it doesn't. Maybe it is a period of adjustment (ahem) and needs a little while. You are all lovely, which is why I posted the question here - thank you

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
The catnip sounds interesting. I think I may try that. Arg, my period is so irregular that I scarcely know when to expect it. Anywhere between 2 1/2 weeks and 5 weeks, but in the past couple of months, it's only been irregular and hasn't made me as sick. Yay, I haven't had to call off work or go home sick from school since.... uh.... february 14th.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You know, it wasn't so long ago that I hit puberty and they started scaring us with all the information about periods and things. So it starts, and it's uncomfortable and takes forever to be regular, and to get the hang of it all (not to mention, have you ever seen a 12 year old boy's face when someone says tampon?). And then,when you think you've got it all figured out, you realize you've got another 40 years to go. And it doesn't seem like it gets any easier.

Sorry, momentary feeling of teenagerism.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Skylark: You may want to get your hormone levels checked. It's just a simple blood test. I'm not sure how old you are but having irregular periods in your early teen years is normal, past 16 or so, they should be more regular. Just a thought. If you are not having any other symptoms, maybe you shouldn't worry about it. But it is an inconvenience not knowing when you are going to get your period. I'm on the pill and I know I'm going to get my period every 4th Wednesday between 9:30 and 10;00. It's awesome!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
AuroraLily,

I turn 20 next month, and I've experienced irregular periods and flu-like symptoms during my period since I was... 14, probably. From what I know of MsRuthieB's symptoms, they sound an awful lot like mine. However, I live in my parents' home and commute to college, and since I am on their health insurance, they have the final say in whether or not I see a doctor. I've asked my mom several times about seeing a doctor or ob/gyn about my monthly inability to do anything for about half a day, but she tells me she thinks "herbal remedies" should be exhausted first because "in this family we take responsibility for our own health. We don't expect doctors to 'fix' us." That's why the catnip idea is appealing--if it works, then I may not have to put the pressure on my cheapskate parents anymore.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For all women who have horrible pain during their periods, run don't walk to the nearest doctor to get it checked out. I was diagnosed with endometriosis when I was 13 a year after starting my period. My family doctor told me I was fine even though my periods were lasting 2 months at a time, and despite the fact that my mom endometriosis and endometrial cancer runs in my family. After a year of constantly missing school I finally went to an ob/gyn who specialized in the disease. I was diagnosed with it, put on the pill and I've had no trouble with it for the past 9 years. Many women are told that it's normal to suffer and not to worry about it. They often don't find out until they are trying to conceive and are having trouble with it. Endometriosis is a major cause of infertility because of the scarring it causes. If your doctor tells you that your fine and not to worry about it, without sufficient testing, get a second opinion, your fertility might suffer if you don't take it seriously.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jenangelcat-you hit the nail on the head. I started seeing the doc in the early 90's for my endometriosis..in retrospect I believe I waited too long. I wish someone would have told me about the disease. I learned the hard way. That's why I share with women today. I had 4 surgery's trying and many many treatements/tests trying to correct my situation. I actually ended up not having children, mostly due to blocked fallopian tubes and not having the upfront money at the time for invetro fertilization. I've undergone a partial hysterectomy one year and a full the next (being in 2001). During the partial, they removed 9 lbs of tumors. Was the endometreosis partily to blame? They couldn't tell me. There is so little known about this disease. I do know that it hurts like hell. I don't wish what I've been through on my worst enemy. Reading some of these posts gives me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that I can relate to what they are going through. I hope that no one that has posted here has what I do. Please mention it to your doctor on your next visit. The hurt of never having children and never being a mommy never goes away.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts