VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You've seen the video "Meet Your Meat" right? If not, you should. But now the video is narrated (it used to just be silent) by Alec Baldwin and is even more powerful. You can download a copy of the video for free at www.meetyourmeat.com or you can order a copy on VHS or on DVD for only $5. The video is not copyrighted and they encourage you to make copies to give to family and friends. If you have a DVD burner and a bunch of old AOL clamshell cases, this would make a great freebie for tabling events!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Thanks for this info. I'm going to download it. I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle watching it very well -- I'm a total wimp, and anyway my imagination is enough to keep me from wanting to eat meat. But I'd like to have a copy or two to give to anyone who expresses interest in veg*nism. Well, maybe I SHOULD watch it so I know what I'd be handing out.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also the video is free to libraries and video stores. If they write to PETA using company letterhead they'll send a copy for free. A lot of video stores could display it in the informational section where video rentals are free.

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
I just watched the movie and I am going to have to work harder at giving up cheese. I don't think being a lacto/vegitarian is going to be enough for me anymore. That is a powerful film.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I had never seen this before. I completely agree with Life2k. I don't know if I will be able to continue to eat eggs and dairy...

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
I have always turned a self righteous eye to eating eggs and dairy because I could go down the road to the dairy and see their free range cattle, walk through their clean facilities, talk with their off duty employees and get the scoop on any dirty dealings they might have. I have always been able to buy eggs from the local farmer who has about 300 hens at the max and they are free range. I have never eaten veal in my life. There is a stock yard right outside of town. I think I will go see if they sell these veal calfs in that condition.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're buying local free range eggs and dairy that's great! Though you'd still have to worry about products containing eggs and dairy, as companies use the cheapest mass produced ingredients possible. And dairy products in restaurant are pretty much never free range either.

A factory farm wouldn't let you stop by to check out their conditions. Everything's under lock and key. Local farms are much more cooperative and better, sadly they're being pushed out of business by the factory farms.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Even if the veal calves are treated "well," which is still unlikely, they're rarely kept with their mothers, 'cause that precious milk has to be pumped away for human consumption.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I watched the before meet your meat video and it was so sad but this one is horridly sad i cried thoughout the whole thing

this video made me want to go vegan 10000X's more

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
There is a new version? I have only watched the old version once (I own it on DVD) and that broke my heart for SO LONG. I cannot bear to watch the new version, as weak as that may sound. I was just depressed and angry and cried all the time after I watched the first one. Is it on PETA'S website?

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegal View Post

There is a new version? I have only watched the old version once (I own it on DVD) and that broke my heart for SO LONG. I cannot bear to watch the new version, as weak as that may sound. I was just depressed and angry and cried all the time after I watched the first one. Is it on PETA'S website?
This thread was started in mid-2003. It was just the most appropriate thread on MYM that I could link to.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Meet Your Meat is the video that changed me from being a meat-eater to a vegetarian as soon as I watched it (well I think I made the switch about half-way through the video).

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I watched it okay. In a way I wasn't too shocked. It just confirmed what I thought. I don't understand the people who work like that I mean the people who work within those factorys. It is disgusting though. People don't want to see things like that, maybe if they did it would change there mind on some things. What it did do, was make me consider giving up dairy. It's certainly powerful and gets its point across.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
I've watched MYM exactly twice. I cried both times, though the second time was almost worse because I knew what was coming. I'd be a liar if I said that my conversion to veganism from being a L/O had nothing to do with watching this video.

If you are easily bothered, sensitive or shocked, you might want to think about whether you really want to see this video.

Not that I think we should sugar-coat reality, but still.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSwab View Post

I had never seen this before. I completely agree with Life2k. I don't know if I will be able to continue to eat eggs and dairy...
I am vegetarian but I eat eggs and dairy, too. I guess the message from the video is telling people not eat animals' meat, but not focus on Ovo-Lacto vegetarians.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.