VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been tossing this around in my head for a few days and I can't bring myself to approach friends or family on the subject so I thought I would post this here.

About four years ago my boyfriend died of cancer. It was horrible. I've stayed really good friends with his family. I was over at his mother's place when she started telling me that ever since her son died weird things around the house started happening. For example, his favourite chair was a fancy chair with a vibrating back. It hadn't worked since shortly after his death. The mother had tried everything like playing with the cords. Then one Christmas, the family was talking about my boyfriend and all of a sudden the chair started vibrating. And since then it has been broken again. My boyfriend's mother is a woman of science and is not religious. She is very sane. A friend of hers suggested she go see a medium. She decided to go, very skeptical. Well the medium told her so many things that she would not have known. The mother also told me things that he said about me that she would never have known either. Now I'm a scientific, nonreligious person but after taking with the mother, I just had a sense of warmth about me. I'm thinking of going myslef to the medium and see what happens. What do people think?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Be very careful. A small handful are legit. Others will feed off of your emotions. Did his mom make an appointment with the medium? If so, she probably gave her name. I'm not saying that all do this, but some will research for any piece of public info prior to the clients arrival. Having information that was not 'given' validates the authenticity of the reader.

·
Registered
499 Posts
That story gave me some goosebumps
. Like MsRuthieB said, be careful about what information you accidently give her. But if it's reasonable money wise, I don't see the harm in trying it out... if his Mom felt the visit was worthwhile, you may get something out of it too. I'm not a big spiritual person, and don't believe the idea of an afterlife (or what not) has to be connected to a form of religion... we just don't know about those things, and should be open-minded. Good luck.. let us know what you decide

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have heard of that scam too where they look through records etc. and even go to your house and walk around the backyard. My boyfriend's mother had given her no info prior to the session. I'm proceeding with caution though.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
i went to one a few time in NJ and she was spot on. she did not even know my name when i went in and she predicted my brothers drug rehab stay and even his name. she also predicted the birth of my daughter and told me some interesting things about my grandmother that had passed away prior to our session....and she had ZERO info on me when i walked in the door

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I went to the French Quarter when I arrived to New Orleans and went to a palm reader one night.

She was really amazing! Out of a good many things she told me, only a couple didn't ring a bell. She even told me that I've been going through a lot of stress lately, and it was just a week after I got here! I was very moved and touched.

Then, the next day, I was thinking about the experience and recalled her looking at my fingernails right before she said I've been going through a lot of stress, and seeing that I chew my nails religiously, it became clear that she was probably just really good at reading signs.

But, that's really all good mediums are, people who are exceptionally intuitional.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i think that you have nothing to lose by going. If you are comforted, then you recieve what you wanted, right?

i am spiritual, but i do no tknow what happens to people when they die. I have many ideas--which come from many different religions. But, i still talk with the dead (or at them, or to them) whom i have loved. I do not know if they hear me, but i like to do it anyway.

I say go for it. I know of a good pyschic in my area. i really like her. psychic susan: psychicsusan.com

·
Banned
559 Posts
go for it, but have a healthy skeptism, definitely. i've had a few experiences like the one you mentioned in regards to my friend who committed suicide.

there are legit people out there, but more often most are not.

my boyfriend has many, many 'abilities' with pyschic awareness and medium touch, etc. and i've been studying it a little bit and have opened my own up as well. it's pretty interesting, again, if you have a healthy skeptism, heh.

my bf's dad was killed and he has seen/heard, etc his father many times. same with my friend's mom. it's not unusual. i think it would be comforting. actually, i know it is. i havent had many experiences with reading into the for lack of better word, 'dead' but the ones i have were pretty amazing.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Seeing a medium can be comforting and may give her answers but err on the side of caution. Not all mediums are charlatans but it's easy to prey on someone who is still grieving. I suggest that maybe she get some grief counseling is well.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Go for it, but don't expect too much. Even if she is fake and you never find out about it, maybe it can bring you some comfort.

Personally, I would rather use myself for the communication. Buy some books and open yourself up to it. Everyone has the ability you just have to learn to tap into it.

He probably communicates with you much more than you consciously realize.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i'm all for it. i've dabbled a little myself. but yes some psychics/mediums are scammers, you have to be careful. but it sounds like the one his mom went to is ok, so i'd go to that same one. but don't tell her that his mother had a reading and that you want to contact the same person. giving any info before a reading can mess them up. if she remembers the previous reading (i doubt she does but you never know) it could affect the outcome of yours.

i'm in no way religious, but i do consider myself somewhat spiritual. my beliefs are pretty different in that i don't believe in a god but i believe in an afterlife in a way.

well, it's more like this, here, is a temporary existence and where we go after is our real home. anyone can have a connection to someone on the other side if they're open to it, but most of us are raised to be skeptical or to fear "ghosts" and the paranormal, so that holds us back.

if you feel you're ready to go have a reading done, go for it.

but be warned. if you're not ready you may not get anything. they (on the other side) have a way of knowing when you aren't ready and they won't push it on you if you're not. if you haven't grieved and accepted the person's passing, contacting them may be too painful and they won't cause you pain if they can help it.

have you watched John Edwards or Sylvia Browne on tv or read their books? if not maybe check them out before you go so you know what to expect. readings happen much like they do with them, fast, to the point, and they don't always make sense at the time. sometimes they'll make references to things that you don't understand but then later on, maybe weeks or months in the future, you'll figure it out.

they usually are like this: the medium will probably ask you things that aren't connected to the person you want to talk to, every day things, just to get a connection. if someone comes through they'll probably describe them, name some events connected to the person, and then tell you things about their passing (which may be hard for you). you may or may not have a chance to ask questions depending on the medium. don't be upset if the "right" person doesn't come through. you'll hear from who you need to hear from, not necessarily who you want to hear from. so if you end up connecting with a relative you barely knew rather than your boyfriend, don't take it to mean he doesn't want to contact you. it could be that he's not ready or you're not ready, or that this relative has a more important message for you that can't be ignored.

anyway if you have any other questions about this stuff you can pm me if you want. i hope you'll let us know how it goes if you go through with it. it's a really good experience even if you don't get to talk to who you want. just try to go in there with no expectations and with your mind and heart open. grounding and chakra balancing beforehand might help

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Erin is right though, he probably sends you signals constantly that you're not open to seeing yet.

i just want to add, a real medium will stop you if you try to give any info, they will insist on yes or no answers only because any info they give compromises the reading. a scammer will find ways to encourage you to give information without you realizing it. even if they say something that's wrong just say "no", don't give details, they'll either figure it out if they're legit or they'll start fishing for info if they're not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts