VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For any of you that are regular meditators... I've always been interested, but I have no idea how to get started. Any tips or suggestions as to how I should go about starting to meditate?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,144 Posts
Meditating or Western relaxation techniques are very boring in the beginning.

A good relaxation technique is the progressive muscular relaxation afrer Jacobson. To start with meditating you could try buddhistic breathing techniques (mindfulness of breathing).

Be skeptic if anyone offers you a technique leading to immediate esoteric results. The technique must be mastered before any results can be obtained.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
604 Posts
I read a book on it and have tried it a few times I will probably do it more . I suggest having a "mantra" thats what you say when you meditate, you just say it over and over and over again. There are also many ways to do it. I try turning all the negative energy in my body to positive energy with my imagination. I read about it in this little book.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by michael_veggie

I read a book on it and have tried it a few times I will probably do it more . I suggest having a "mantra" thats what you say when you meditate, you just say it over and over and over again. There are also many ways to do it. I try turning all the negative energy in my body to positive energy with my imagination. I read about it in this little book.
Do you know what the book was?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
If you go to www.gaiam.com they have some books & videos on meditation. There is a combo tape for AM Meditation and PM Meditation. I gave it to my father as a gift and he really enjoys it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,451 Posts
i like Meditation by Thich Naht Hanh and Meditation by Eswaran. Both are great books that describe how to meditate, and the various basic techniques of meditation.

meditation takes a lot of practice, so if you're not "seeing results"--that's ok. it takes a lot of time, and a lot of practice before you really get anywhere. ANd start small--2-3 minutes at a time, working your way up to longer times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,283 Posts
Thich Naht Hahn is a good source in general, but especially for bring the benefits of meditation into everyday life.

I also like Jon Kabat-Zinn, Larry Rosenberg, Joseph Goldstein, and Sharon Salzberg from the Insight Meditation Society.

Amazon.com has titles and book reviews for these authors and many others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,190 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainvegan View Post

Thich Naht Hahn is a good source in general, but especially for bring the benefits of meditation into everyday life.

I also like Jon Kabat-Zinn, Larry Rosenberg, Joseph Goldstein, and Sharon Salzberg from the Insight Meditation Society.

Amazon.com has titles and book reviews for these authors and many others.
Missed this thread before. I cannot agree more with the recommendation for Thich Nhat Hanh. Very practical, simple, sincere and beautiful writing. Certainly worth a read.


There is a collection of some of his Dharma talks here that are available through the Plum Village website.

Best wishes in your practice, Chiara!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,394 Posts
I was really resistant to meditation practice for many years. Now that I have found my place in it, I can't encourage your practice enough.

Some "branches" of meditation are dharana [concentration] and pratyahara [sense withdrawal]. Those of use with extremely monkeyish minds like me, who have trouble immersing directly into a heavy meditation practice, may do well to work on these components. Right now I have a set of mala beads [sort of like a yogarosary] and I have committed to repeat my mantra or concept over and over again, once per breath per bead, every day. Or I stare at a candle flame. The most basic meditation, and it's surprisingly difficult, seems to be to just focus on the breath as it comes in and out.

One day I will be ready for the more elaborate versions....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmacharya View Post

I was really resistant to meditation practice for many years. Now that I have found my place in it, I can't encourage your practice enough.

Some "branches" of meditation are dharana [concentration] and pratyahara [sense withdrawal]. Those of use with extremely monkeyish minds like me, who have trouble immersing directly into a heavy meditation practice, may do well to work on these components. Right now I have a set of mala beads [sort of like a yogarosary] and I have committed to repeat my mantra or concept over and over again, once per breath per bead, every day. Or I stare at a candle flame. The most basic meditation, and it's surprisingly difficult, seems to be to just focus on the breath as it comes in and out.

One day I will be ready for the more elaborate versions....
That sounds wonderful. Mala or japa beads and chanting~ Yogananda said "chanting is half the battle"! It does help focus our minds! It's cool too to listen to mantra cd's... they say if you practice a mantra long enough it becomes automatic, and is always in your mind. How cool would that be!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaraluna View Post

I've always been interested, but I have no idea how to get started. Any tips or suggestions as to how I should go about starting to meditate?
I've meditated for a while myself, and can only describe what it was for me.

I used to sit in a chair for half an hour trying to clear my mind and think about nothing.

Often while attempting this, I'd get thoughts/feelings about what I'd experienced that day.

Then I'd try to imagine that what I thought was a item on a stage, the thought was one item and my thinking a stage....and I'd try to move/push my thoughts/item of my "stage"

it wouldn't always work out well, but the being locked out of constant stimulation of radio/tv and being able to find more "peace of mind" did work after a while.....maybe not up to the level of real meditation, but it gave me rest and at some times I was suprised the time I set was gone already when the alarm went.

In the first days (maybe weeks) it can feel strange or even restless, while you sit down and "concentrate" on being at ease....you feel realize much more how restless you are/ can be..

(just my experience)

I should start doing it again...... it was good
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, very old thread but a very timely revival. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone -- I managed to get started for a little while when I first started this thread and then fell out of practice again, so I think it's time for another attempt.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top