VeggieBoards banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Longtime vegetarian
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the consensus is among my fellow ethical vegetarians when it comes to medications that contain, or may contain, animal products. For example, something that's only available in capsule form, and the capsules are presumed to contain gelatin, or a flu vaccine that contains egg proteins.

Speaking only for myself, I've had to come to a point of acceptance, because I have such serious health problems that there are times I simply have no choice--it's either take a med that I know contains animal ingredients, or risk getting extremely, perhaps deathly, ill.

When there is choice, of course I opt for the non-animal version, and I've long boycotted things like Premarin, choosing synthetic estrogens instead. But when there is no choice, I reluctantly acquiesce. What about you?

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Just wondering what the consensus is among my fellow ethical vegetarians when it comes to medications that contain, or may contain, animal products. For example, something that's only available in capsule form, and the capsules are presumed to contain gelatin, or a flu vaccine that contains egg proteins.

Speaking only for myself, I've had to come to a point of acceptance, because I have such serious health problems that there are times I simply have no choice--it's either take a med that I know contains animal ingredients, or risk getting extremely, perhaps deathly, ill.

When there is choice, of course I opt for the non-animal version, and I've long boycotted things like Premarin, choosing synthetic estrogens instead. But when there is no choice, I reluctantly acquiesce. What about you?
I do just what you do. I'm a long term ethical vegan and also an RN, so I get meds gelatin-free, etc when feasible. And I try to use medications that have been around longer, since at least any animal testing done for them wouldn't have been recent. Like aspirin instead of ibuprofen type thing.

My current responsibilities at work include doing the intake for newly pregnant women. This includes prescribing prenatal vitamins, so I always give the non-fish oil, no gelatin types. And I encourage vegetarian eating for the pregnant woman ( I have to be careful here with current meateaters.)

·
Longtime vegetarian
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do just what you do. I'm a long term ethical vegan and also an RN, so I get meds gelatin-free, etc when feasible. And I try to use medications that have been around longer, since at least any animal testing done for them wouldn't have been recent. Like aspirin instead of ibuprofen type thing.

My current responsibilities at work include doing the intake for newly pregnant women. This includes prescribing prenatal vitamins, so I always give the non-fish oil, no gelatin types. And I encourage vegetarian eating for the pregnant woman ( I have to be careful here with current meateaters.)
Thanks for the input, LedBoots!

I can imagine the fine line you have to tread when encouraging vegetarian eating for pregnant women. There are still...STILL!...so many misconceptions about vegan/vegetarian nutrition.

·
The prowling wolf
878 Posts
I am an ethical vegan, and think it's horrible that the only medication working for my Crohn's is Remicade, which is made from mouse enzymes.

However, there is no alternative that works for me and without this medication I could die, so I have to take it. It is the only option I have, and I am very sorry for all the mice.

As soon as a realistic alternative arrives, I will switch. For now however, this is a matter of life or death.

·
Longtime vegetarian
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am an ethical vegan, and think it's horrible that the only medication working for my Crohn's is Remicade, which is made from mouse enzymes.

However, there is no alternative that works for me and without this medication I could die, so I have to take it. It is the only option I have, and I am very sorry for all the mice.

As soon as a realistic alternative arrives, I will switch. For now however, this is a matter of life or death.
Please don't beat yourself up over it. You're doing the best you can, and if you had a choice as far as this medication goes, you'd choose a better alternative, but you don't. :)

·
The prowling wolf
878 Posts
Please don't beat yourself up over it. You're doing the best you can, and if you had a choice as far as this medication goes, you'd choose a better alternative, but you don't. :)
I agree, there is nothing I can do. If an alternative comes I will try it (artificial mouse enzymes anyone? :p ) but until that time it is the way it is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts